Search

30 Nov 2021

Gleann Riada house evacuated

Longford County Council have advised the occupiers of one house in the Gleann Riada estate to evacuate their premises after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were detected, writes Conor Barrins.

Longford County Council have advised the occupiers of one house in the Gleann Riada estate to evacuate their premises after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were detected, writes Conor Barrins.

The Council have been monitoring gases in a number of properties at Gleann Riada over the past few weeks after a build-up of gases caused an explosion on March 15 this year.

The gas monitoring data collected has been analysed on an ongoing basis by the HSE and in a number of cases elevated levels of some gases were detected, which was then passed on to the occupiers of the relevant houses.

Yesterday, the Council were informed that elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected in one house at Gleann Riada.

A spokesperson for Longford County Council said the detected levels were significantly higher than would normally be expected to occur in a residence.

“Carbon Monoxide is a dangerous gas and for that reason the HSE have indicated that the occupiers of the house should be made aware of the results of the monitoring and be advised to vacate the property, in the interests of their safety,” they said.

The owners and occupiers of the house have since been contacted by the Council.

“This is a difficult situation for the family involved and the Council does not wish to make any specific comments in relation to the house that is involved. The Council is taking a number of precautionary steps and will be issuing advice to the owners and occupiers of all homes in the development,” the spokesperson added.

Elsewhere in the estate, a demolition team are working on removing the foundations of two apartment blocks as well as a 12-unit apartment block, with demolition of that block set to start on July 9.

The Council were keen to reassure other home owners that they are doing everything they can to deal with the situation. It is understood elevated levels of other gases have been detected in a small number of homes at Gleann Riada but the house that has been evacuated differs as the gas involved was carbon monoxide.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.