Longford/Westmeath TD Joe Flaherty
Longford-Westmeath Fianna Fáil TD Joe Flaherty has said the announcement of €1m to underpin the protracted upgrade of the main N4 between Longford and Mullingar is the result of several weeks of painstaking behind the scenes talks with government bosses.
Mr Flaherty expressed his delight at the news this afternoon after speaking publicly on the matter in the Dáil on Monday.
The Lanesboro native revealed he had held "extensive negotiations" with both Transport Minister Eamon Ryan and Public Expenditure Minister Michael McGrath in recent weeks in an effort to ensure the project's future sustainability.
Mr Flaherty said the fact only two projects out of a total of eight were now in receipt of much needed supplementary State funding illustrated the benefits of those discussions.
"It goes to show the benefit of having strong representation at government level," he said.
"I was delighted to have been contacted by Minister Ryan's office this afternoon to say that the funding had been made available and that work on the project can now restart."
Pressed as to whether €1m would suffice in ensuring the N4 upgrade remained on the table of Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) officials, Mr Flaherty said he had received assurances the project would "proceed to route selection" stage.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.