The average person will eat three eggs over the Easter period
The shops have been full of Easter treats for some time now - chocolate eggs, chocolate bunnies, chocolate sheep, you name it, you can pretty much find it in chocolate form somewhere!
Of course, it’s not just chocolate that we consume during Easter, there’s also the traditional Sunday dinner, hot cross buns and Easter cakes and biscuits to contend with, which all adds up when it comes to your calorie intake.
So, if you’re trying to lose weight and watch your calorie intake, just how damaging can Easter be? New research has found that the average person consumes three medium sized Easter eggs each over the Easter period – which amounts to a shocking 2,088 additional calories.
Most of us would admit we can definitely eat a whole Easter egg in one go and rather enjoy it, so the question is – how bad is Easter for our health?
Below is a break down of the calorie content in some of our favourite Easter eggs.
- Cadbury Chopped Nut Easter Egg: 2,977 calories.
- Hotel Chocolat Extra-Thick Rocky Road Easter Egg: 2,865 calories.
- Cadbury XL Crème Egg Easter Egg: 2,459 calories.
- Hotel Chocolat Extra-Thick Milk Chocolate Egg: 2,300 calories.
- M&M Peanut Luxury Easter Egg & Chocolate: 1,629 calories.
- Waitrose Dark Chocolate Avocado Easter Egg: 1,620 calories.
- Cadbury Wispa Gold Egg: 1,560 calories.
- Snickers Milk Chocolate Large Easter Egg & Chocolate: 1,429 calories.
- Lindt Lindor Egg & Truffles: 1,378 calories.
- Nestle Kit Kat Bites Easter Egg & Chocolate: 1,338.
- Nestle Aero Bubble Peppermint Easter Egg: 1,282 calories.
- Smarties Orange Mini Egg Inside Egg: 1,260 calories.
- Thornton’s Classic Chocolate Egg: 1,148 calories.
- Lion Bar Retro Easter Egg: 1,029 calories.
- Rolo Medium Easter Egg: 720 calories.
- Mars Medium Easter Egg and Chocolate: 703 calories.
- Cadbury Mini Eggs Medium Egg: 696 calories.
- M&M’s Choco Medium Egg: 691 calories.
- Malteser Milk Chocolate Easter Egg and Chocolate: 661 calories.
- Cadbury Freddo Faces Medium Egg: 653 calories.
- Kinder Surprise Easter Egg: 579 calories.
- Hotel Chocolat Milk Chocolate Bunny: 565 calories.
- Nestle Smarties Chicken in an Easter Egg: 535 calories.
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Buttons Small Easter Egg: 392 calories.
- Malteser Mini Milk Egg & Bunny: 421 calories.
- Milkybar Small Easter Egg: 392 calories.
- Lindt Medium Gold Bunny: 1,100 calories.
- Cadbury Egg & Spoon Oreo: 764 calories.
- Cadbury Mini Eggs: 444 calories.
- Kinder Milk Chocolate & Hazelnut Mini Eggs: 437 calories.
- Crème Egg: 177 calories.
- Malteaster Bunny: 156 calories.
Diet expert, Terri-Ann Nunns, founder of Terri-Ann’s Diet Plans reveals that some popular Easter eggs contain a whopping 2,977 calories.
Terri-Ann said: “The biggest problem with Easter eggs is that we never tend to get just the one - we often end up with multiple eggs and get carried away indulging in all of them! I would recommend resisting the temptation to crack the whole egg and eat it all in one go. Instead, try to save it to enjoy as a treat as part of a healthy balanced diet.
“We’re also tricked into thinking that because it’s Easter, we must eat all these Easter specific treats now while they are in the stores – but of course this isn’t the case. We can get mini eggs and other goodies all year round! Don’t be fooled and sucked in by the Easter seasonal treats that are on sale too early.
“Of course, life is too short to go without a treat now and then, so here’s how you can still enjoy the popular Easter tradition by making some swaps and choosing alternative sweet treats with lower calories.”
|Popular Easter Treat||Lower Calorie Alternative|
|Cadbury Chopped Nut Easter Egg: 2,977 calories||Cadbury Fruit and Nut Easter Egg: 740 calories|
|Cadbury XL Crème Egg Easter Egg: 2,459 calories||Medium Cadbury Crème Egg Easter Egg: 537 calories|
|Lindt Medium Gold Bunny: 1,100 calories||Malteaster Bunny: 156 calories|
|Smarties Orange Mini Egg Insider Egg: 1,260 calories||Smarties Chicken in an Easter Egg: 535 calories|
|M&M Peanut Luxury Easter Egg & Chocolate: 1,629 calories||M&M Choco Medium Egg: 691 calories|