Longford teen who left victim scarred after knife attack to be sentenced next month

Liam Cosgrove

Reporter:

Liam Cosgrove

Email:

liam.cosgrove@longfordleader.ie

Longford Courthouse.

A Longford teenager, who left a victim with scarring to his face as a result of an assault last year, is to be sentenced next month

A Longford teenager who left the victim of a knife attack with scarring to his face following an alleged assault almost a year ago has been remanded in continuing detention ahead of sentencing next month.

A Longford teenager who left the victim of a knife attack with scarring to his face following an alleged assault almost a year ago has been remanded in continuing detention ahead of sentencing next month.

The 17-year-old, who cannot be formally identified due to to his age, had initially pleaded not guilty yesterday (Wednesday) to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to his victim at Springlawn, Longford on February 7 2018.

However, when a sitting of Longford Circuit Court resumed earlier today ahead of an expected trial, the defendant was rearraigned on the same charge after opting to change his plea to guilty.

The teenager has already pleaded guilty to a Section 3 assault and the production of a knife during the course of a dispute on the same date and location.

Counsel for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Shane Gerety entered a 'nolle prosequi'-a decision not to proceed-with a fourth charge relating the possession of a knife in a public place.

The court heard a number of suggestions put forward by both the defence and prosecution in terms of the sentencing options which were open to presiding Judge Keenan Johnston.

Mr Gerety, in citing a previous case, namely DPP v AS, said the court was faced with somewhat of a 'lacuna' by its inability to impose a suspended sentence on a minor.

Describing such a scenario as nothing short of 'crazy' Judge Johnston said while he was satisfied with the attempts made by the accused to rehabilitate himself at Dublin's Oberstown detention centre, he said it was imperative "a roadmap" was put in place when determining sentencing.

A further factor, he said, would have to be factored in was that the charges before the court were committed while the boy was on bail.

"He certainly seems to have turned over a new leaf.....but this is a very serious offence, it involved the use of a knife and involved scarring to the face of the victim," he said.

The boy was remanded in continuing detention until a sitting of Mullingar Circuit Court on February 6 2019.