Killoe knock Navan out to earn another crack at Portlaoise




Paddy Thompson on the ball for Killoe Emmet Og ahead of Navan O'Mahonys opponent Cormac McGuinness. Action from the Leinster Club Senior Football Championship quarter-final at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday. Photo: Declan Gilmore
Leinster Club Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final

Leinster Club Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final

Killoe Emmet Og . . . . . 0-11 Navan O’Mahonys . . . . . 1-6

Killoe set up a rematch against Portlaoise in the semi-final of the Leinster Club Senior Football Championship at O’Moore Park on November 22nd when they came from behind to beat Navan O’Mahonys by the narrow margin of two points on Sunday.

An attendance in the region of 1,000 braved the bad weather at wet and windy Glennon Brothers Pearse Park to watch the quarter-final clash and at one stage Emmet Og (minus the injured Shane Dowd) looked in some trouble. They trailed by 1-4 to 0-4 early in the second half with Ruairi O Coileain scoring the goal for the Meath champions in the 21st minute of the tight contest.

After missing a lot of chances, the Longford champions eventually clicked into top gear to clock up six points in a row with the influential Michael Quinn blasting the ball over the bar to start the comeback in the 35th minute.

Further points quickly followed from first cousins Joe and Sean McCormack and then the towering figure of Simon Kiernan landed a brace of brilliant points with full-forward McCormack also converting a free during this glorious seven minute spell.

That left Killoe leading by 0-10 to 1-4 and while O’Mahonys closed the gap to just a single point after scores from O Coileain (free) and Shane Gillespie, they missed another couple of frees which proved very costly in the finish.

Losing the services of inspirational full-back Padraig McCormack to injury in the 53rd minute was a severe setback for Emmet Og but they managed to hold out for a hard earned victory with Sean McCormack firing over a free in stoppage time to make sure of the success.

KILLOE EMMET OG: Cillian Burns; Liam Hughes, Padraig McCormack, Daniel Keogh; Joe McCormack (0-1), Michael Quinn (0-1), Cian Farrelly; Paddy Thompson, Simon Kiernan (0-2); Denis McGoldrick (0-3, all frees), Daniel Mimnagh, Paddy Kiernan; Larry Moran, Sean McCormack (0-4, two frees), Mark Hughes.

Subs:- Eugene Clarke for L Moran (35 mins); Shane Clarke for P McCormack (injured, 53 mins); L Moran for D McGoldrick (59 mins).

NAVAN O’MAHONYS: Marcus Brennan; James O’Reilly, Niall McKeigue, Darragh Smyth; Brian Dillon, Darragh Maguire, Gary O’Brien; Cormac McGuinness (0-1), Kevin Reilly; Ruairi O Coileain (1-3, all points from frees), Stephen Bray, Alan Forde; Shane Gillespie (0-2), David Bray, Jake Regan.

Subs:- Stephen MacGabhann for N McKeigue (42 mins); Henry Finnegan for D Bray (46 mins); Rory Maguire for J Regan (48 mins).

Referee: Brendan Cawley (Kildare).