Carrickedmond crowned Intermediate champions




Delighted Carrickedmond captain Barry O'Farrell raises the Gerry Hennessy Cup after his club won the Intermediate Football Championship Final replay at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday evening. Photo: Declan Gilmore
Carrickedmond . . . . . 0-9 Sean Connolly’s 0-8

Carrickedmond . . . . . 0-9 Sean Connolly’s 0-8

Carrickedmond captured the Intermediate Football Championship title for the fourth time when they pipped Sean Connolly’s at the post in the final replay at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday evening - Patrick Farrell cutting in from the left to fist the ball over the bar in stoppage time.

In a dramatic finish to another poor game, Connolly’s squandered a glorious chance of emerging victorious when Trevor Murtagh (after receiving the perfect pass from Dessie Reynolds) blasted the ball over the bar with the goals at his mercy.

The point from Murtagh in the 58th minute left the sides all square and another draw looked likely at this late stage and extra-time was looming before Patrick Farrell raced through to register the winning score as Carrickedmond regained the Gerry Hennessy Cup that they last won in 2010.

CARRICKEDMOND: Garret Higgins; Johnny Gerety, Oisin Farrell, Rioch Farrell; Padraig McGrath, James Murray, Niall O’Farrell; John O’Shea, Barry O’Farrell; Marty Mulvey (0-4), Padraig O’Shea (0-1, free), Cathal Pearse Belton (0-3); Patrick Farrell (0-1), Mark McDonnell, Jonathan Keegan.

Sub:- Padraig Conway for P O’Shea (56 mins).

SEAN CONNOLLY’S: Keith Molihan; Andy McNamee, Ciaran MacEoin, Thomas Keogh; Dominic Watters, Michael McGlynn, Daniel Collum; Stephen Lynch (0-3, two frees), Frank Reynolds; Padraig Brady, Gregory Masterson, Trevor Murtagh (0-2); Dessie Reynolds (0-3), Eugene Murtagh, John McKenna.

Subs:- Brendan Treacy for D Watters (22 mins); Joe Heaney for J McKenna (37 mins); David Brady for E Murtagh (53 mins).

Referee: John Hughes (Killoe Emmet Og).

Read the full match report in next week’s Leader, on sale on Wednesday