Wexford overcome Longford after extra-time

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifier - Round 2

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifier - Round 2

Wexford . . . . . . 2-15 Longford . . . . . . 0-16

Padraic O’Brien reporting from Glennon Brothers Pearse Park

While two second half goals from PJ Banville and Daithi Waters proved to be the decisive scores as Wexford came storming back to eventually emerge victorious after extra-time in Round 2 of the All-Ireland Qualifiers at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday evening, Longford almost snatched a last gasp victory.

In the final minute of normal time, Sean McCormack (who kicked a total of nine points) kept his composure to fire over the equalising free and the momentum was now with the home county as this exciting encounter entered stoppage time. Wexford were then most fortunate not to concede another free for a clear foul on Paul Barden but there was no whistle from the referee.

Barden still had the ball in his grasp but failed in his long range attempt to kick a dramatic winning point in shooting wide of the posts and the final whistle was sounded seconds later.

Deadlocked at 0-14 to 2-8 at the end of normal time, Wexford pulled right away in extra-time to outscore the jaded opposition by 0-7 to 0-2 and were worthy winners.

LONGFORD: Damien Sheridan (Dromard); Dermot Brady (Longford Slashers), Barry Gilleran (Longford Slashers, 0-1), Declan Reilly (Colmcille); Barry O’Farrell (Carrickedmond), Padraig McCormack (Killoe), Shane Mulligan (Mullinalaghta, 0-2); John Keegan (Mullinalaghta, 0-1), Michael Brady (Longford Slashers, 0-1); Bernard McElvaney (Ballymore), Paul Barden (Clonguish, 0-1), Peter Foy (Longford Slashers); Francis McGee (Dromard), Sean McCormack (Killoe, 0-9, seven frees), JJ Matthews (Mullinalaghta, 0-1).

Subs:- Niall Mulligan (Longford Slashers) for F McGee (57 mins); Donal McElligott (Mullinalaghta) for J Keegan (63 mins); Colm P Smyth (Abbeylara) for D Reilly (injured, 65 mins); Aidan Rowan (Cashel) for P Foy (68 mins).

Subs in extra-time: Mark Hughes (Killoe) for JJ Matthews (3 mins); Kevin Diffley (Ballymahon) for N Mulligan (16 mins).

WEXFORD: Anthony Masterson; Michael Furlong, Graeme Molloy, Robert Tierney; Brian Malone, David Murphy, Adrian Flynn (0-3); Daithi Waters (1-1), Rory Quinlivan; James Holmes (0-1), Redmond Barry (0-2), Aindreas Doyle (0-1); Paddy Byrne, Ciaran Lyng (0-2, one free), PJ Banville (1-0).

Subs:- Ben Brosnan (0-3, one free) for PJ Banville (40 mins); Conor Carty for J Holmes (50 mins); Shane Roche (0-2, frees) for C Lyng (68 mins); Kevin Gore for A Doyle (72 mins).

Subs in extra-time: A Doyle for R Quinlivan (12 mins); C Lyng for R Barry (16 mins).

Referee: Padraig O’Sullivan (Kerry).