Audio: Artillery regiment visits Ballinamuck

The Longford Leader’s Liam Cosgrove talks to Paddy Howe about the visit of the 4th Field Artillery Regiment to the site of the 1798 battlefield at Ballinamuck.

The regiment, which was based in Mullingar before being moved to Custume Barracks in Athlone last year, was recently disestablished as part of the ongoing restructuring of the Defence Forces. To mark the end of their unit, its personnel visited Ballinamuck to tour the battlefield and conducted a gun salute on the site of Gunner Magee’s last stand.