Ballinagh notes

Ballinagh notes

Ballinagh notes

Senior Champions

For Ballinagh people at home and overseas Sunday, October 13 2013 is a date never to be forgotten for on that day our senior football team won their first ever Cavan senior football championship. Following their victory over neighbouring club Crosserlough in the championship semi-final Ballinagh had qualified for the senior championship final for the first time since 1986 and the fourth time in the club’s history.

In the early 1960s Ballinagh did qualify for two finals, the first was never played for reasons this correspondent does not propose dealing with here while on the second occasion Crosserlough were victorious. In 1986 the club again contested the senior final against Kingscourt Stars but the East Cavan club proved the winners.

For Ballinagh club this year has been memorable as in addition to our club celebrating the 125th anniversary of it’s foundation this year also marked the 100th anniversary of winning for the club their first ever county championship way back in 1913. Emigration and shortage of quality players saw the club go through many lean periods.

In the midst of enormous celebrations this a week it is right and fitting to remember the pioneers of the association in our club who kept the flag flying during our darkest days which saw many ‘ups’ and downs and certainly more ‘downs’ than ‘ups’. One example being when an emergency meeting was called on a January Sunday in that never forgotten year of 1947. For this meeting there was one item on the agenda for consideration it was ‘should Ballinagh club discontinue’. They had only eleven players and no money to affiliate the club. The previous year the team had played ten games and were beaten in all ten games. Twelve people attended the emergency meeting and it was a unanimous decision to continue with all twelve people contributing half a crown or 2s – 6p (in old money) each and this made affiliation to the county board possible.

Club chairman Michael Gaynor deserves enormous credit for his leadership and work over several years and to his fellow officers and committee. To team manager Ciaran O’Reilly and his selectors, team management and all involved sincere congratulations. The sounding of the full time whistle at Breffni Park on Sunday saw scenes of jubilation never before witnessed at the county grounds. But in Ballinagh on Sunday night an estimated four thousand fans crowded into the town’s main St to welcome home their victorious heroes complete with the coveted senior championship trophy. Speeches were delivered and songs sung from a specially erected platform on the town’s market square while the victorious players all received a heroes welcome. Well done to all involved.

Flemings Folly

Ballinagh community enterprise Association is pleased to announce that the official opening of Flemings Folly will take place on Bank holiday Monday, October 28. Registration in community centre will be at 11am – families €20, couples €15 and individuals €10. This will be followed by a walk to the folly via Cashel Cross and Coillte trail at Caughon. Paul Brady world champion handball player will cut the ribbon and minister Fergus O’Dowd TD will unveil the plaque at 12.30pm. Very Revd Peter Casey PP and Dean Raymond Ferguson will bless the project. There shall be refreshments in the community centre at 2pm. 75% of this project was funded by CM Leader and Cavan county council and the committee need to raise the remaining 25%. Your support on the day would be greatly appreciated. It promises to be a great occasion for the people of Ballinagh and the surrounding area.

Night of History

On this Friday night October 18 in the Greville Arms Hotel Granard at 8pm a night of history has been organised with the topic for the night being Michael Collins, his life and his links with Ballinagh and Granard.

Community Alert

Anyone currently wishing to receive a monitored alarm or pendant from the senior alert scheme should contact Majella Robinson on 087 6481012. To qualify for this scheme you must be 65 years or over living alone or with another elderly person. Please note that the equipment is grant aided but there is an annual cost of €65 to the recipient.

Late Oliver Sheils

There was shock and sadness throughout the district on Thursday as news spread of the death which occurred unexpectedly following a short illness of Mr Oliver Sheils Farnham hotel Cavan and a native of Crosskeys. Oliver was one of natures gentlemen whose passing is widely mourned. To his wife Nan son Michael, daughters grandchildren and relatives I extend the sympathy of our community. May his gentle soul rest in peace.