Longford man jailed for abusing staff at St Martha's Hostel

News reporter


News reporter



Longford District Court: Ballymahon man convicted of dangerous driving

Judge Seamus Hughes sentenced a man to four weeks in prison following an incident at St Martha's Hostel in Longford town.

A man who appeared before last week’s sitting of Longford District Court charged under the Public Order Act was sentenced to one month in prison after he was convicted following a hearing into the matter.

Stephen Bracken (23), St Martha's Hostel, Dublin Road, Longford appeared before Judge Seamus Hughes charged with being intoxicated in a public place and engaging in threatening, abusive and insulting words or behaviour at St Martha’s Hostel, Dublin Road, Longford on September 9, 2018.

Outlining the evidence to the court, Sergeant Paddy McGirl said that on the date in question gardaí received a call to attend at St Martha’s Hostel in Longford town where there were reports of an intoxicated man at the premises who was also being abusive to staff at the facility.

“When gardaí arrived at the premises it was made known to them that the defendant had arrived back at the hostel outside of curfew and in an intoxicated state,” added Sergeant McGirl.

“He was subsequently arrested.”

Meanwhile, the defendant’s solicitor John Quinn said his client had “a problem with alcohol”.

“He very much regrets the incident and in fact had gotten on very well with everyone at the hostel prior to that,” Mr Quinn confirmed.

“He is currently serving a sentence and due for release in May 2019; in fairness he is getting to the stage now where he knows he will never be a social drinker.”

During his deliberations on the matter Judge Hughes told Mr Bracken, “you have an appalling record”.

“How many times have you been in prison?,” the Judge asked the defendant.

“I’ve been going inside since I was 16,” lamented Mr Bracken.

“I learned nothing; it was all a waste of time.”

Mr Bracken went on to say that he had also undertaken a three month residential programme in Cuan Mhuire in an effort to deal with his addictions.

“It helps for a while but then it goes,” he added.

During his deliberations on the matter, Judge Hughes said that while he felt there was “hope” for the defendant, the burden of responsibility in respect of that rested on the shoulders of Mr Bracken.

“I think there is hope for you, but it’s up to you,” said the Judge.

He subsequently convicted the defendant and sentenced him to one month in jail to be served concurrently to the prison term already being served.