Longford senior hurling champions Clonguish Gaels through to Leinster Junior Club semi-final

AIB Leinster Club Junior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Deniese O'Flaherty


Deniese O'Flaherty



aib leinster club junior hurling championship

Alan Sorohan pictured in action for Clonguish Gaels hurlers

After beating Barndarrig (Wicklow) in the first round, further progress was made by Clonguish Gaels who are through to the Leinster Club Junior Hurling Championship semi-final following a fine win over Mountmellick (Laois) at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday. 

Clonguish Gaels . . . 2-15      Mountmellick (Laois) . . . 1-12 

Outstanding forward O’Brien scored both goals for the Longford senior champions, the first in the early stages of the game and the decisive second in the 54th minute to clinch a place in the last four. O'Brien clocked up the impressive total of 2-8

Clonguish Gaels, who led by 1-9 to 0-6 at the break, are now away to the Kilkenny junior champions Conahy Shamrocks in a couple of weeks time in their quest to qualify for the provincial title decider.

Conahy Shamrocks will be a significant step up in class on the evidence of their most emphatic 2-17 to 1-9 win over the Dublin junior champions Fingallians on Saturday. 

CLONGUISH GAELS:  Eanna Daly; Gerard Moore, Paul Hession, Patrick Corcoran; Francis Molloy, Neil O’Connor, Michael Devlin; Stephen Gregg, Eugene Kiernan; Bart Hanley (0-6, 4fs), Shane O’Brien, Alan Sorohan; Paul Barden Snr, Joe O’Brien (2-8, 0-1 penalty, 0-7 frees), Paul Barden Jnr.

Subs:- Kevin Burke (0-1) for E Kiernan (half-time); Anthony Corcoran for S O’Brien (injured, 32 mins), David Gregg for S Gregg (57 mins). 

MOUNTMELLICK: Cathal Flynn; Kevin Scott, Lawrence Kenny, David Fennelly; Eddie Melia, Donnacha Hartnett (0-1), Peter Dunne; John Connolly, Redmond McEvoy; Nigel Murphy (0-1), Barry Mangan, Karl Donoher (0-1); Michael Birmingham (0-1), Ian Fennelly, James Hillard (1-8, 0-8fs).

Subs:- Sean Mangan for K Donoher (53 mins); Ian Moore for D Fennelly (57mins); Thomas McEvoy for R McEvoy (one minute into stoppage time), Ciaran Rochford for E Melia (three minutes into stoppage time).

Referee: Mark Ryan (Dublin).