Shane Thompson scores both crucial goals for Killoe in Longford league title success

Padraic Gearty Cup - Reserve Football League 3 Final (13-A-Side)

Deniese O'Flaherty


Deniese O'Flaherty


Padraic Gearty Cup Final

Ger Carberry on the ball for Killoe Emmet Og in breaking away from Ardagh/Moydow opponent Tommy Powell. Action from the Padraic Gearty Cup Final at the Higginstown grounds. Photo: Declan Gilmore

Shane Thompson scored both crucial goals as Killoe Emmet Og captured the Padraic Gearty Cup with five points to spare over Ardagh/Moydow in the Reserve Football League 3 Final at the Higginstown grounds, Granard on Wednesday evening.  

Killoe Emmet Og . . . 2-9       Ardagh/Moydow . . . 0-10

In an entertaining encounter, the matchwinner Thompson scored the opening goal in first half stoppage time to put Killoe ahead for the first time in the game (1-4 to 0-5) and he found the back of the net again four minutes into the second half.

Ardagh/Moydow trailed by nine points with 41 minutes gone on the clock and while they worked hard to close the gap they were always fighting a real uphill battle once the second goal was conceded.  

KILLOE EMMET OG: Brian Carr (0-1, ’45); Emmet Toher, Aidan Brady; Conor Gilna, Gavin Hughes, Andrew Gilna (0-1); Ronan Keogh, David Kiernan; Evan Farrelly, Shane Thompson (2-1), Andrew Thompson (0-1); Darren Kelly (0-3, 1f), Ger Carberry (0-2).

Subs:- James Bracken for G Hughes (black card, 15 mins); Paul O’Hara for D Kiernan (46 mins); Damien Dunne for J Bracken (black card, 50 mins); Fergal O’Donnell for A Thompson (58 mins); Joe Moloney for D Kelly (59 mins); Emmet Igoe for E Farrelly (two minutes into stoppage time).

ARDAGH ST PATRICK'S/MOYDOW HARPERS: Darren Farrell; Terry Bullet, Frank Twaddle; Tommy Powell, Brian Farrell, Michael Lynch; Frank Galvin (0-1), Paddy Hanley (0-4, 3f); Fergal Farrell, Cathal Hilliard (0-2), Mark Thompson; Philip Gillen, John Keegan.

Subs:- Mark Donlon (0-3, 3f) for P Hanley (injured, half-time); Robbie Orr for P Gillen (40 mins); Ronan Keane for M Lynch (44 mins), David Farrell for C Hilliard (57 mins).

Referee: Joe McDermott (Young Grattans).