19 Aug 2022

Cnoc Mhuire Granard win another Leinster title as U-14 footballers triumph in ‘C’ final

Cnoc Mhuire Granard win another Leinster title as U-14 footballers triumph in ‘C’ final

Tom Molloy presenting Ciaran Scanlon, the captain of the Cnoc Mhuire, Granard U-14 football squad, with the Leinster Post-Primary Schools Juvenile 'C' trophy. Photo: Declan Gilmore

Cnoc Mhuire Granard U-14 footballers showed true grit and determination as they survived a determined comeback from Heywood Community School (Laois) to win the Leinster Post-Primary Schools Juvenile ‘C’ Final played at the Durrow GAA grounds, Offaly on Wednesday last week.

Top Oil Leinster Post-Primary Schools Juvenile (U-14) 'C' Football Championship Final

Cnoc Mhuire, Granard . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-15

Heywood Community School, Ballinakill (Laois) . . . . . . . . . . . 3-9  

The Granard school had been ahead by eight points at the break but Heywood started the second half with a vengeance and with seven minutes gone on the changeover they had cut the deficit to just two points.

Cnoc Mhuire then hit over two points but a goal from Lawson Obular and a free from Brian Whelan drew the Laois school level midway through the second half. That was the nearest Heywood could get to Cnoc Mhuire who were able to get vital scores in the closing stages of this most entertaining game.

Some terrific defending and fantastic work from their forward line saw Cnoc Mhuire rally in the final two minutes with Cormac Brady’s goal in stoppage time sealing the win.

Cnoc Mhuire made a terrific start to the game when straight from the throw-in they scored their first goal. Aaron Smyth played the ball into Tiarnan Madden who in turn found Jonathan Jackson and the Granard lad shot to the roof of the net.

His clubmate Micheal Hynes added a point minutes later before Heywood’s first point came in the 4th minute. Tiarnan Madden hit over two fine points before Hynes and Brady gave Cnoc Mhuire a seven point lead by the 8th minute.

In the 11th minute Heywood were back in the game when James Hennessy scored a goal and Lawson Obular followed up with a point to cut the lead to three.

Aaron Smyth replied for Cnoc Mhuire and then in the 21st minute Ruairi Corcoran scored their second goal after a fine catch by Jackson. Hynes and Corcoran hit over points and just before the break Sean Fitzpatrick got a point for Heywood to leave the half-time score 2-8 to 1-3 in favour of Cnoc Mhuire.

Whatever was said to Heywood at half-time worked and seven minutes into the second half they had closed the gap to just two points. Tiarnan Madden and  Michael Hynes, who were excellent throughout, then slotted over points for Cnoc Mhuire but Heywood were back in the game with a goal from Obular and a point from Whelan.

Points were traded between Cormac Brady (free) and Aaron O’Dea as the sides were level again in the 51st minute. With the game evenly poised Cnoc Mhuire upped their performance and opened up a three point lead by  the 59th minute. After being taken off, Conor Leonard was brought back on to protect the defence for the remainder of the game and he did just that.

A Brian Whelan free left just two between the sides entering stoppage time but Cnoc Mhuire once again showed great character and captain Ciaran Scanlon replied with a point from a tight angle.

Two minutes into stoppage time Cormac Brady made sure of the success when he got the third goal after receiving the ball from Hynes as another football title was collected by Cnoc Mhuire.

CNOC MHUIRE GRANARD: Frank Sheehy; Diarmuid Boylan, Cian O’Reilly, Daniel Lynch; Bryan Masterson, Ciaran Scanlon (0-2, 1f), Mark Cunningham; Conor Leonard, Ruairi Corcoran (1-1); Caolan O’Reilly, Tiarnan Madden (0-4), Aaron Smyth (0-1); Cormac Brady (1-2, 1f), Jonathan Jackson (1-0), Micheal Hynes (0-5).

Subs:- Conor Casey for C O’Reilly (36 mins); Peter Devine for C Leonard (42 mins); C O’Reilly for J Jackson (57 mins); C Leonard for D Lynch (58 mins).

HEYWOOD COMMUNITY SCHOOL LAOIS: Ruaidhri Neavyn; James Whelan, Eamon Fitzpatrick, Davin McEvoy; Darragh Kelly, James Knowles, Sam Quinn; James Hennessy (1-0), Fionan Mahony (1-0); Aaron O’Dea (0-1), Brian Whelan (0-4, 2f), Ben Freeman (0-1); Sean Fitzpatrick (0-1), Jamie Drury, Lawson Obular (1-2).

Sub:- Cathal Lynam for D Kelly (half-time).

Referee: Eamon O’Connor (Offaly).

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.