Dromard knock Colmcille out

A great comeback from Dromard saw them turn a six point deficit into a six point winning margin in the quarter-final replay against Colmcille at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday evening last and in doing so book a senior championship semi-final meeting with Killoe Young Emmets on Saturday evening next.

After Colmcille had raced into a six point lead in the 17th minute, a Dromard win looked very unlikely but led by the superb Cian Mimnagh they fought back hard in the latter stages of the first half to go in at the interval just two behind, 0-8 to 0-6. After the break they completely dominated but only made the game secure in the 54th minute when Mimnagh scored the only goal of the game.

The great north Longford rivals contributed to a very entertaining contest; it was as good as the drawn game was bad and in the end Dromard deserved their win.

It was all one-way traffic in the opening stages of the game as Colmcille turned their possession into scores. A well-taken point from Barry McKeon opened the scoring in the 2nd minute and he followed that up with another point two minutes later.

Niall Brady added another point before Declan Reilly scored a nice point in the 8th minute. Two minutes later Colmcille got their fifth point but it could nearly have been a goal. Paul McKeon went racing through and unleashed a powerful shot that Dromard keeper Damien Sheridan excellently tipped over the crossbar.

After being completely outplayed Dromard got their first score in the 13th minute with a good point from Ronan McEntire. But Colmcille hit back and a great crossfield ball from Niall Brady found Michael Kilbride who laid the ball off to Barry McKeon who found the range. In the 17th minute older brother Paul got on the scoresheet to extend Colmcille’s lead to six points.

But Dromard then gradually began to come back into the game and two points from Jamsie Martin (one free) cut the gap to four points in the 20th minute. Colmcille responded with a point from Barry McKeon and that was to be their last score of the first half.

Cian Mimnagh dragged his low shot just wide in the 25th minute but two minutes later he was on target firing over a nice point. Another Jamsie Martin free and a point from Francis McGee meant there was just two points in it going in at the break.

The momentum was with Dromard and they started the second half well with another free from the boot of Jamsie Martin and four minutes later the game was level when Martin pointed an excellent effort.

It was all Dromard at this stage and in the 38th minute they took the lead for the first time; Jamsie Martin played a short free to Declan Mimnagh and he pointed. Dromard then had two chances to extend their lead but hit them wide.

The sides were level again in the 49th minute when Declan Reilly pointed a free. It was their first score of the second half and their first for 27 minutes. Dromard though were in front again two minutes later with the Mimnagh brothers combining for Cian to fire over a fantastic long range point.

Although Colmcille had been out of the game for lengthy periods in the second half they drew level in the 53rd minute when Niall Brady got his second point but that was to be their last score.

Dromard responded in terrific fashion. Substitute Emmet Masterson found Cian Mimnagh and he shot to the back of the net to put Ciaran Fox’s charges ahead by three and then Bernard Sheridan and Jamsie Martin followed that up with two great points. The last score of the game came in the 58th minute with Cian Mimnagh firing over a fantastic point.

DROMARD: Damien Sheridan; Peadar Faughnan, Cathal Conefrey, David Pettit; John Sheridan, Diarmuid Masterson, Peter Reynolds; Noel Reynolds, Bernard Sheridan (0-1); Kevin Donohoe, Ronan McEntire (0-1), Cian Mimnagh (1-3); Jamsie Martin (0-6, three frees), Francis McGee (0-1), Declan Mimnagh (0-1).

Subs:- Paul McGee for P Reynolds (16 mins); Emmet Masterson for R McEntire (injured, 48 mins); Donal Sheridan for N Reynolds (59 mins).

COLMCILLE: Mark Kiernan; Gary Murtagh, Ciaran Brady, Martin Mulligan; Noel Farrell, Declan Reilly (0-2, one free), Francis Kavanagh; Enda Farrell, John Paul Reilly; Niall Brady (0-2), Paul McKeon (0-2), Michael Kilbride; Barry McKeon (0-4, one free), Declan Farrell, Padraig Murtagh.

Subs:- Darren Mulligan for M Kilbride (47 mins): Brian Brady for M Mulligan (63 mins).

Referee: Michael O’Brien (Longford Slashers).