Killoe score comfortable win over Mostrim

The county champions mean business again in 2013 and they laid down a firm statement of intent at Emmet Park on Saturday evening last. Following on from their narrow one point win over Dromard in the opening round of the Division 1 League, Killoe were slick and sharp in this second round game in scoring a comfortable victory against a gallant Mostrim outfit.
The strength in depth of Tommy McCormack’s squad was in evidence. Forced to field without Simon Kiernan and Ronan McGoldrick they had the luxury of being able to call on some of their younger squad members and were never really troubled by the Edgeworthstown side. 
Mostrim made the better start with Brian Farrell and Ciaran Gallagher pointing early on for the visitors. However, Killoe were soon into their stride with a Mark Hughes point and a brace of scores apiece from Daniel Mimnagh and Denis McGoldrick saw the county champions lead by 0-5 to 0-3 after 15 minutes.

And this advantage was extended to four points, 0-9 to 0-5 at the break with Joe McCormack scoring an exquisite point just before the break. Sean McCormack and Mark Hughes were also on target in the latter stages of the first half while Mostrim kept in touch with an Alan O’Hara effort.
Cillian Lynn pointed for Mostrim in the 34th minute to narrow the gap but Killoe took over soon after and the result was never really in any doubt after Joe McCormack grabbed his second point in the 42nd minute. At that stage the Connolly Cup and Leader Cup champions were leading by double scores, 0-12 to 0-6, as Mostrim faded out of contention. 
Scores from Mark Hughes, Denis McGoldrick and substitutes Shane Clarke and Paddy Kiernan saw Killoe ease clear and a late goal from Michael Quinn didn’t flatter the emphatic winners. Defenders Ronan Keogh and Darragh Bennett also got forward in the second half to register excellent points for the men in green and white.
Mostrim had their moments in the second half. But they persisted in trying to create goal chances and were thwarted on many occasions by a very solid Killoe defence. And on the one occasion that they did get in behind the Emmet Og rearguard, goalkeeper Cillian Burns was on hand to deny them.
A case of beginning the new season in the same fashion as they ended 2012. Killoe will be hard stopped again this year and the experience of last year added to the huge pool of fresh up and coming talent they have to draw from will mean Emmet Og will be the team to beat in 2013.

KILLOE: C Burns; R Keogh (0-1), D Keogh, C Farrelly; D Bennett (0-1), P McCormack, S Dowd; P Thompson, M Quinn (1-0); D Mimnagh (0-2), J McCormack (0-2), E Clarke; D McGoldrick (0-3), M Hughes (0-2), S McCormack (0-2).

Subs: - P Kiernan (0-1) and S Clarke (0-1) for D Mimnagh and D McGoldrick (46 mins).

MOSTRIM: C Garvey; S Noone, D Moran, A Gallagher; T Gallagher, C Gallagher (0-1), G Smith; M Kenny, F Coyle; A O’Hara (0-2), M Coyle, C Lynn (0-3); J Dempsey, B Farrell (0-2), M Hussey.

Sub: - M Kelly for G Smith (injured, 35 mins). 

Referee: M Farrell (Ballymahon).