Christmas in Longford promises to be an exciting and fun-packed time. And we've provided a list of events that will be worth attending
Wednesday, December 20
* St Sinneach’s National School Junior infants, senior infants and 1st Class will present their Christmas dramas at 1.30pm. School concert with children from 2nd to 6th class in the school hall on that evening at 7.30 pm.
Thursday, December 21
* Groups and soloists taking part in the St Mel’s College Christmas Concert are busy with rehearsals. The concert takes place on Thursday, December 21 in the school Assembly Hall.
* St Christopher’s Services Longford Christmas dash (walk/jog) on Thursday, December 21 at
Friday, December 22
* Gaels United Children’s Christmas Disco in Drumlish Community Centre from 6-9pm. Santa will make a special guest appearance.
Saturday, December 23
Christmas Day, Monday, December 25
* The 27th Christmas Day Run/Walk from Newtowncashel to Lanesboro in aid of Longford MS will take place on Christmas morning. Contact Michael Flood 086 088 0855.
* Lough Ree Sub Aqua Club annual Christmas Day swim will take place directly after
* The GOAL Mile is now in its 36th year, with the Longford GOAL Mile taking place in Connolly Barracks at 12 noon on Christmas Day. This year’s event in Longford is held in memory of Ina McCormack, a kind-hearted and generous member of the Longford community who passed away last Christmas Day.
St Stephen’s Day, Tuesday, December 26
* The annual Shane Brennan 5k, in aid of Longford Multiple Sclerosis, takes place on St Stephen’s Day, starting at from Allen Park, Newtownforbes. The Walk sets off at 12.45pm, while the runners and joggers get underway at
* Ballymahon Tidy Towns are holding a St Stephen's Day (Tuesday, December 26) Family Cycle starting at 12 noon. The cycle starts from Longford Bridge (Drynan) and the route is to Abbeyshrule and return, which is approximately 20 kilometres. There will be refreshments afterwards in Skelly's and all are welcome.
* The St Mary's GAA Granard annual St Stephen's Day Run/Walk takes place on Tuesday, December 26 in Higginstown from 11am to 1pm, all money raised will be shared with the Luke Gallagher Benefit Trust. All support welcome, please support and spread the word.
* St Stephen’s Day charity football game will take place
* Killoe GAA annual charity match will again take place on St Stephen’s day at
*Mostrim Mile charity fun run/walk in aid of Crumlin Children’s Hospital, starting from Mostrim GAA clubhouse at 11am. The run/walk will start from the clubhouse in the green and will return to the clubhouse afterwards where tea and coffee will be served to all participants.
Saturday, December 30
* Brave Giant with special guests Sean Rooney,
New Year’s Day, Monday, January 1, 2018
* Start the New Year in style at Longford
Check out the Christmas 2017 section on the Longford Leader website www.longfordleader.ie for more