29 Jan 2022

Tain Club Hurling League Final

The Clonguish hurlers secured the Tain League Division Five trophy on Saturday when seeing off a resolute Pearse Og side from Louth after extra time.

The Clonguish hurlers secured the Tain League Division Five trophy on Saturday when seeing off a resolute Pearse Og side from Louth after extra time.

Clonguish won the toss and decided to play with the breeze in the first half and despite a nervy start, both teams settled down with some very good hurling being played in the opening exhanges.

Clonguish went into an early two point lead due to the accuracy of Joe O’Brien, but Pearse Og fought back and were on level terms after 10 minutes.

Two minutes later, Clonguish suffered a blow when they were reduced to fourteen men.

Depleted, Clonguish dug deep and went ahead again by two points before a long ball played out of the Pearse Og defence fell kindly for their corner forward who scored an excellent goal which put Pearse Og into the lead for the first time.

Clonguish responded in determined fashion however and at half time led by a solitary point.

With the aid of the breeze Pearse Og started the second half very brightly and went into the lead. Clonguish, nonetheless, stuck to their task and began to take control of the midfield area as the game entered its closing stages.

That said, there was never any more than two points between the sides and when the referee blew the full time whistle both sides faced the prospect of doing it all again in what promised to be a fascinating period of extra time.

Boosted by returning to their full fifteen man compliment, Clonguish regained the upper hand and went into a one point lead.

In the second half of extra time, the Longford outfit extended their lead to two points with four minutes to go. The frenetic nature of the game however saw Pearse Og notch three unanswered points in the space of three minutes to go into a one point lead with just one minute of extra time remaining.

Looking decidedly desperate, a quick puck out by Clonguish goalkeeper Raymond O’Brien found its way into the path of the lurking Joe O’Brien who flicked the ball to the back of the net to give Clonguish the most dramatic of two point wins.

As celebrations began to start in earnest, those looking on from the sidelines were no doubt glossing over what was a hugely significant victory for Clonguish, who defeated teams from Sligo, Leitrim, Monaghan, Louth, Fermanagh and Armagh in their path to last Saturday’s ultra tense title decider.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.