06 Oct 2022

Another scoreless draw as Longford Town drop more points away to Wexford

Another scoreless draw as Longford Town drop more points away to Wexford

Longford Town defender Stephen Walsh.

Longford Town lost more ground in the Airtricity League First Division title race when they came away from Ferrycarrig Park on Friday night with just one point following a disappointing draw against bottom of the table Wexford.

SSE Airtricity League First Division - Round 7

Wexford . . . 0     Longford Town . . . 0

It was another setback for Alan Mathews and his players in the battle for the sole promotion spot and after the completion of the first  phase of fixtures, Longford are stuck in seventh position and already eight points behind leaders Waterford which is a serious cause for concern.   

The stark reality is that only two Town players have scored league goals this season and if something is not done to rectify the situation they are going to continue dropping valuable points.

Wexford had early half chances in the game but once the Town got into their stride they dominated the exchanges but failed to convert the chances they created, although their cause was clearly hampered when both David O'Sullivan and Don Cowan were forced to retire injured at half-time. 

The Town then had a great opportunity to break the deadlock in the 56th minute but Enda Curran somehow shot wide when he seemed certain to score from close range.

Finding the net seems to be a recurring problem for Curran but the Town striker was most unlucky in the 73rd minute when he hit the crossbar.

WEXFORD: Corey Chambers; Craig McCabe, Ross Kenny, Sean Hurley, Owen McCormack; Adam Hanlon, Shane Dunne, Craig Wall, Ricky Fox; Craig Hayes, Eoin Porter.

Subs:- Danny Doyle for Hayes (77 mins); Thomas Croke for Porter (79 mins).  

LONGFORD TOWN:  Paul Skinner; Aidan Friel, Stephen Walsh, Daniel O’Reilly, Tristan Noack Hofmann; Don Cowan, Dean Zambra, Kevin O’Connor, Cody Mulhall; David O’Sullivan, Enda Curran.

Subs:- Jake Kelly for O’Sullivan (injured, half-time); Dylan McGlade for Cowan (injured, half-time); Gavin Boyne for Curran (81 mins).

Referee: Patrick O’Connor (Kilkenny).

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!

Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.


To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.