Longford District Court where the youths made an appearance last week
A man and two teenagers currently before the courts in connection to a St Patrick’s Day stabbing in Longford have had their charges upgraded.
Last Wednesday, two juveniles were brought before a sitting of Athlone District Court in front of presiding Judge Seamus Hughes.
The court was told gardaí arrested the pair aged 17 and 15 at their home in Longford town earlier that day on foot of new directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
They had initially been charged with a Section 3 assault causing harm under the auspices of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.
However, it emerged this week that the DPP had given the go-ahead to raise that to a more acute Section 4 assault causing serious harm.
Det Sgt Frank Finn said due to the serious nature of the charge, it was the State’s application to remand both accused in custody.
That application was, however, turned down with the pair expected to appear before a sitting of Longford District Court on September 5.
Gardai are expected to serve both defendants with a book of evidence on that date.
A third man arrested and charged over the same incident remains in custody.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie