Councillors in Longford have voiced their concerns regarding the increase in public order offences in Longford
Councillors have spoken generally about their concerns over an increase in public order offences in Longford with calls for more gardaí to patrol the streets.
Fine Gael Councillor Niall Gannon raised the issue at last week's Longford Municipal District meeting and said it needed to be addressed.
“These things constantly happen and it needs to be stopped,” he said. It is not good enough for our town and we don't want that trouble in our town.”
Officers attended the scene of a public order incident outside a school in Longford Town at about 9am on Wednesday, October 9.
Also Read:RTÉ postpone new series of Ireland's Fittest Family following tragic death of 15 year-old contestant
A video shared widely via social media shows Gardaí responding to the incident outside the school.
There has also been several other public order incidents in Longford in recent months.
Cathaoirleach of Longford Municipal District, Cllr Seamus Butler said the vast majority of people in Longford are law-abiding.
“It is a very small minority and I refuse to be defined in Longford by those people.”
Also Read: Longford community group put fun in fundraising
Cllr Butler also stated he believes an action plan should be compiled by the new chair of Longford Local Community Safety Partnership, retired Garda Supt Seamus Boyle."The physical thing of having guards on the street is the only thing that can deal with this," he said.
Fianna Fáil Cllr Martin Monaghan said he was “demanding” Minister McEntee comes to Longford..
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.