Gardaí are currently carrying out a forensic examination at the scene of a fire that broke out in the heart of Longford town last night. One man is currently being treated at the Midland Regional Hospital, Mullingar for smoke inhalation, which he suffered after the fire broke out on the premises, at the ‘La Bella’ fashion outlet, Grafton Court, Longford at approximately 9:20pm last night (November 13).
Gardaí were alerted to the fire after the alarm was activated, and while there was nobody in the store at the time of the incident, occupants from the apartment above were subsequently evacuated “for precautionary measures”, according to garda sources. Two units of the fire brigade from Longford Fire Service attended the scene and the investigation continues.
“The fire broke out at approximately 9:20 pm on November 13, 2012,” a garda spokesperson said, adding that the owner of the premises was then contacted, and that it was he who became overwhelmed by smoke inhalation after he entered the premises.
“He was subsequently transferred to the nearby regional hospital for treatment and while an investigation is currently being carried out, but we don’t suspect any malicious intent at this time.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.