The Cavan based Garda who resigned after disclosing details of penalty point retractions that prompted an official inquiry into its handling has this week launched a robust defence of his actions.
Garda John Wilson was one of two informants who helped lift the lid on details of suspected penalty point terminations by gardai, the results of which have since been relayed by a leading Sunday newspaper.
A nephew of the late Tanaiste John Wilson and a brother of the sitting Cavan Fianna Fail Seanad whip, Senator Diarmuid Wilson, the 50-year-old and recently retired garda quit his job last Wednesday.
Although not the original report’s primary author, Mr Wilson weighed in behind a fellow garda sergeant who charted thousands of examples of where penalty points accrued by motorists were allegedly erased or distorted.
This, has since, instigated a garda inquiry with Justice Minister Alan Shatter believed to be presently examining its findings.
However, speaking to the Sunday Independent at the weekend Mr Wilson said he had little choice in standing down from his post, stating his presence in the force had become untenable.
He also rejected the recent garda investigation as insufficient and opened calls for a full scale public inquiry into the controversy.
“There are tens of thousands of fixed-fine penalty notices that I believe have been terminated,” he said.
Mr Wilson was just as outspoken when defending his decision to last year take his knowledge to certain Dail politicians under the auspices of the Garda Siochana Act 2005.
Part of that act allows a member of the Gardai, present or past, to pass on information attained during the course of duty to a restricted circle of particular persons, including members of the Oireactas.
“I can never be accused of running outside the organisation first,” he said. “I went through the proper channels first.”