Labour TD Willie Penrose has said the party will not support Enda Kenny's nomination for Taoiseach a second time after he failed in his bid to be re-elected last week.
The Longford-Westmeath TD joined his six other party colleagues in supporting the current caretaker Taoiseach as the Dáil returned on Thursday from last month's General Election.
The Fine Gael Leader, like Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin, failed to win the confidence of TDs following a vote last Thursday.
Giving his reaction to the Leader on Monday, Deputy Penrose said the Labour Party would not be supporting Kenny for any subsequent bid.
“We (Labour) have done our jobs and honoured our committment,” he said.
Deputy Penrose also revealed that the party would not be involving itself in any government formation talks.
“We will now go into purposeful and constructive opposition,” he added.
The TD's comments mirror those of outgoing Communications Minister, Alex White.
He had earlier been quoted as saying Labour would support Enda Kenny on the first vote for Taoiseach as a “book end” to the last government, but not after that.
Deputy Penrose was more tight-lipped however when asked about who might lead the party into the 32nd Dáil.
“Nobody will know for six months,” he remarked.
“I have no preference and whatever happens we will deal with it when it happens.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.