Longford SFC: Mullinalaghta turn on the power in the second half in comprehensive win over Granard

Peter Hanley Motors Senior Football Championship Group 2 - Round 2

Deniese O'Flaherty


Deniese O'Flaherty



2018 Longford Senior Football Championship

Donal McElligott on the attack for Mullinalaghta ahead of Granard opponent Darren Gallagher. Action from the SFC Group 2 game at Emmet Park, Killoe on Sunday. Photo: Declan Gilmore

Mullinalaghta produced another excellent performance to dismiss the challenge of Granard in the Senior Football Championship Round 2 clash at Emmet Park, Killoe on Sunday.  

Mullinalaghta St Columba’s . . . 2-16     St Mary’s Granard . . . 0-11

This result means that St Columba’s, St Mary’s and Colmcille are now all through to the quarter-finals with a round of fixtures to spare in Group 2 with the bottom team Carrickedmond facing the relegation play-offs.

The first half was tight with Granard just three points adrift (0-8 to 0-5) after Darren Gallagher fired over three exceptional scores but Mullinalaghta turned on the power in the second half  on their way to a comprehensive win by the wide margin of 11 points.

Particularly prominent for the county champions were John Keegan and Rian Brady who clocked up a total of 1-7 between them.

MULLINALAGHTA ST COLUMBA’S: Paddy Rogers; Simon Cadam, Patrick Fox, Conan Brady; Shane Mulligan (0-1), Gary Rogers, Francis Mulligan; David McGivney (0-3, 2f), John Keegan (1-3); Donal McElligott (1-0, penalty), James McGivney (0-1), Brendan Fox (0-2); Michael Cunningham, Rian Brady (0-4), Conor McElligott (0-1).

Subs:- Jayson Matthews (0-1) for M Cunningham (36 mins); Luke Meehan for C Brady (42 mins), Aidan McElligott for D McElligott (injured, 50 mins).

ST MARY’S GRANARD: Dessie Kiernan; Vinny Nally, Thomas Gallagher, Paddy McGivney; Mark Tully, Niall O’Hara, Brian Sheridan; Charlie Martin, Darren Gallagher (0-5, 1f); Paul Smyth, Dylan Corcoran (0-2), Eddie Smyth; Ben Martin (0-1), Liam Sullivan (0-3, 2f), Fergus Kelly.

Subs:- Eoin Higgins for N O’Hara (injured, 34 mins); Mark Connell for E Smyth (black card, 40 mins); Declan Murphy for V Nally (injured, 40 mins).

Referee: Joe McDermott (Young Grattans).