26 May 2022

Killoe gradually get the better of Colmcille in hard earned victory

Killoe gradually get the better of Colmcille in hard earned victory

Larry Moran on the ball for Killoe Emmet Og in his attempt to find a way past Colmcille opponent Paul McKeon with his brother Barry also in the picture. Photo: Declan Gilmore

With former Roscommon manager Fergal O’Donnell now in charge, Killoe Emmet Og started their defence of the Division 1 senior league title with a hard earned four points win over Colmcille at McGee Park on Sunday last.

All County Football League Division 1 - Round 1

Killoe Emmet Og . . . . 1-15

Colmcille . . . . . . . . . .  1-11

Colmcille, under new manager Stephen Coy, had to play the final quarter of the contest with 14 men after Padraig Murtagh was sent off for an altercation with Michael Quinn. At the end Niall Farley (Colmcille) and Padraig McCormack (Emmet Og) received second yellows cards while Colmcille were also hit with injuries to key players Ciaran Brady and Cathal Reilly in the first half.

Reilly’s injury saw Colmcille awarded a penalty and Killoe’s Shane Clarke was lucky not to have received a  black card after taking down the player in the square. The full-forward Reilly was a major loss for Colmcille in the second half.

The game was evenly poised at 1-9 apiece in the 46th minute when Padraig Murtagh was shown a straight red card after clashing with Michael Quinn who received a yellow card.

With the extra man advantage proving decisive, Killoe edged in front and got the vital scores. Colmcille closed the gap to two points in the 56th minute but that was as close as they got.

A pointed free from Rory Hawkins opened the scoring in the 3rd minute but Killoe hit back with three points in a row from Quinn, Jamie King and Sean McCormack (free). Darren Mulligan replied with a fine point for Colmcille before McCormack brought a fine save out of Colmcille keeper Mark Kiernan in the 12th minute.

Hawkins second free  in the 14th minute left Colmcille level but a free from King put Killoe ahead again in the 15th minute. Two minutes later Colmcille were back in front when Darren Mulligan played a terrific ball into Cathal Reilly who struck a powerful shot into the back of the net.

Mulligan followed up with a point to put three between the sides in the 19th minute. Jamie King and Barry McKeon (an excellent score) then exchanged points before King got a goal for Killoe in the 26th minute to put them ahead again.

In first half stoppage time Cathal Reilly was in possession when Shane Clarke brought him down. A penalty was awarded with Rory Hawkins putting the ball over the bar. Both sides scored late points as Killoe led at the break by 1-8 to 1-7.

Colmcille were level again in the 33rd minute but it all changed when Padraig Murtagh was sent off midway through the second half. Sean McCormack hit over a soft free to put Killoe ahead and they stretched the advantage with further points  from Cian Farrelly, Daniel Mimnagh and Paddy Kiernan by the 52nd minute.

Paul McKeon (free) and Darren Mulligan replied with points for Colmcille to keep their hopes alive but Killoe got late scores to clinch the victory.

COLMCILLE: Mark Kiernan; Niall Farley, Ciaran Brady, Shane Gray; Barry McKeon (0-2), Vincent Hourican, Martin Mulligan; Declan Farrell, Paul McKeon (0-1, f); Rory Hawkins (0-3, 2f, 1 penalty), Darren Mulligan (0-3), Noel Farrell (0-2); Ruairi Harkin, Cathal Reilly (1-0), Declan Reilly.

Subs:- Padraig Murtagh for C Brady (injured, 9 mins); Conor Grant for C Reilly (injured in first half stoppage time); Fergal Sheridan for S Gray (injured, 55 mins).

KILLOE EMMET OG: Cillian Burns; Liam Hughes, Padraig McCormack, Daniel Keogh; Shane Dowd, Shane Clarke, Cian Farrelly (0-1); Joe McCormack, Ryan Moffett; Michael Quinn (0-1), Daniel Mimnagh (0-2), Paddy Kiernan (0-3); Larry Moran, Sean McCormack (0-3, 2f), Jamie King (1-4, 2f).

Subs:- Terry McCormack for L Moran (injured, 38 mins); Ronan McGoldrick (0-1) for S Dowd (59 mins); Gary Connell for S Clarke (59 mins); Seamus McCormack for J King (59 mins).

Referee: Patrick Maguire (St Mary’s Granard).

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.