Killoe overcome Abbeylara to win Reserve League 1 title

Padraic O'Brien


Padraic O'Brien


Killoe overcome Abbeylara to win Reserve League 1 title

County Board Assistant Treasurer Eugene Quaine presenting the Reserve Football League 1 Cup to Gary Connell, the captain of the victorious Killoe Emmet Og team. Photo: Declan Gilmore

Goals from Ronan McGoldrick (first half) and Paul O’Hara (second half) were the decisive scores for Killoe who overcame Abbeylara in the Reserve Football League 1 Final played at Emmet Park on Friday night.


Killoe Emmet Og . . . . . 2-12     Abbeylara . . . . . 1-8

Abbeylara ended the game with 12 players on the pitch after Kieran Mulvihill and Brian Smyth were sent-off by referee Padraic McGee in the closing stages of the first half as the visitors ended up trailing by 1-7 to 1-5 at the break with Sean Murphy scoring their goal in the 16th minute.

Kevin Smyth was dismissed after receiving a second yellow card in the 43rd minute and just before that Emmet Og player Paddy Kiernan suffered the same fate as his side were reduced to 14.

In between, Jason Kelly failed to convert a penalty for Abbeylara following a fine save from Killoe keeper Shane Fitzpatrick.  

KILLOE EMMET OG: Shane Fitzpatrick; Aidan Brady, Emmet Toher, David Kiernan; Shane Dowd, Paddy Hughes, Shane Clarke; Paddy Kiernan (0-1), Paddy Thompson (0-1); Gary Connell, Paul O’Hara (1-0), Eugene Clarke (0-1); Jamie King (0-5, four frees), Ronan McGoldrick (1-2, one point from free), Terry McCormack (0-1).

Subs:- Ciaran Donohoe (0-1) for E Clarke (injured, 30 mins); David McCarthy for J King (injured, 39 mins); Joe McCormack for P Hughes (40 mins); Ryan Moffett for S Clarke (46 mins); J King for D McCarthy (injured, 49 mins).

ABBEYLARA: Gavin Kelly; Michael Battrim, Russell Brady, Anthony McBrien; Cormac Smyth, James McHugh, Brian Smyth; Jason Kelly (0-1), Kevin Smyth (0-1); Colm E Smyth, James McEntire (0-2), Mickey O’Connor; Kieran Mulvihill, William Crawford (0-1), Sean Murphy (1-3, one point from free).

Sub:- John McHugh for James McHugh (injured, half-time).

Referee: Padraic McGee (Fr Manning Gaels).