Carrickedmond overcome Cashel
to reach Intermediate county final

Carrickedmond midfielder Barry O'Farrell wins the ball in this aerial battle with Cashel opponent James Rowan. Action from the Intermediate Football Championship semi-final at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday last. Photo: Declan Gilmore Photography
For the second year in a row Carrickedmond will contest the Intermediate Football Championship Final and they will be hoping to go one better after the disappointment of losing last year.

For the second year in a row Carrickedmond will contest the Intermediate Football Championship Final and they will be hoping to go one better after the disappointment of losing last year.

From the start of the championship, Eugene McCormack’s charges have been favourites to win the Gerry Hennessey Cup but Rathcline and Sean Connolly’s might have something to say about that.

In a match of poor quality at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday last, Carrickedmond finished the game with 14 men after Niall O’Farrell was shown a second yellow card nine minutes from time while Cashel had Keith Carberry black carded in the 47th minute.

There was just two between the sides in this semi-final clash but in truth Carrickedmond could have won by more. Cashel themselves had chances too put kicked poor wides and took wrong options on occasions. Carrickedmond defended well in numbers near the end when Cashel were looking for the vital scores.

Cashel midfielder James Rowan burst straight through to register the opening point of the game inside the first minute. But Carrickedmond were level in the third minute with a pointed free from John Burns who started the game at corner-forward.

Scores when then hard got as both sides struggled to find the target. The next point of the game came in the 10th minute when Marty Mulvey and Padraig O’Shea combined for Mulvey to hit over his first point.

After 15 minutes without a score, Cashel got their second point through Ger Dennigan to level the game. One minute later James Rowan passed to Keith Carberry but he hit his effort wide.

John Burns was then on target for Carrick with another free to put his side in front again in the 23rd minute but five minutes later a well struck ’45 from Ger Dennigan drew the sides level again.

In first half stoppage time, a good point from Padraig O’Shea gave Carrickemdond a slender lead going in at the break; 0-4 to 0-3.

A nice point from Johnny Keegan five minutes into the second half extended the Carrickedmond advantage and it was a lead they would not relinquish.

Cashel introduced county player Aidan Rowan (who had been away in the United States) at half-time and he hit over a free in the 42nd minute to cut the gap to just one but that was as near as they could get to Carrickedmond. The losers were then dealt a blow when Keith Carberry was black carded in the 47th minute after he felt a decision had gone against his side.

Marty Mulvey restored his side’s two point advantage in the 48th minute and one minute later an excellent score from the same player put three between the sides. But Carrick were reduced to 14 in the 51st minute when Niall O’Farrell received a second yellow card.

One minute later Cashel had a great chance to grab a goal. A bit of hesitancy between Carrickedmond keeper Garret Higgins and his defence allowed James Rowan to sneak in and win possession but from a tight angle he shot straight across the face of the goalmouth.

Cashel got a much needed point in the 53rd minute to make it a two point game again. Then in the 57th minute Andrew Farrell went racing through and appeared to take too much out of the ball as Cashel felt they should have been awarded a penalty.

A free from Gary Kenny left the minimum of margins between the sides with time running out but Carrickedmond substitute Francis Kelly sealed the win when scoring a nice point with virtually the last kick of the game.

CARRICKEDMOND: Garret Higgins; Johnny Gerety, Oisin Farrell, Rioch Farrell; Padraig McGrath, James Murray, Niall O’Farrell; John O’Shea, Barry O’Farrell; Marty Mulvey (0-3), Padraig O’Shea (0-1), Cathal Pearse Belton; John Burns (0-2, frees), Conor Kelly, Johnny Keegan (0-1).

Subs:- Patrick Farrell for J Keegan (42 mins); Francis Kelly (0-1) for C Kelly (58 mins).

CASHEL: Gerard Neilon; Ronan Farrell, Andrew Farrell, Mel Farrell; Shane Merrigan, Padraig Farrell, Conan Casey; James Rowan (0-1), Luke Casey; Gerard Dennigan (0-3, 1’45), Gary Kenny (0-1, free), Niall Casserly; Ronan Muldoon, Keith Carberry, Gavin Kelly.

Subs:- Aidan Rowan (0-1,free) for S Merrigan (half-time), Kevin Farrell for K Carberry (black card, 47 mins); Shane Bannon for G Kelly (41 mins); Thomas Delaney for N Casserley (50 mins).

Referee: Tony Gaffney (Mostrim).