Goals decisive as Killoe knock Dromard out

Killoe Emmet Og defender Liam Hughes clearing the danger ahead of Dromard forward Declan Mimnagh. Action from the Senior Football Championship semi-final at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday evening last.  Photo: Declan Gilmore
A couple of goals proved decisive as Killoe knocked Dromard out of the Senior Football Championship and Emmet Og can now look forward to another appearance in the county final on Sunday October 4th.

A couple of goals proved decisive as Killoe knocked Dromard out of the Senior Football Championship and Emmet Og can now look forward to another appearance in the county final on Sunday October 4th.

Make no mistake about it, the Connolly Cup holders were the superior side in producing their best performance so far in the defence of their title and Dromard looked a tired outfit after coming through a tough quarter-final replay against Longford Slashers the previous week.

Having said that, it took a dubious second goal in the early stages of the second half to put Killoe on the road to a convincing victory in the finish as big midfielder Simon Kiernan bundled the opposing Damien Sheridan over the line in his attempt to connect with a pass from Sean McCormack.

After referee Fergal Kelly consulted with the umpires the score was allowed to stand and that was a severe setback for Dromard, who now trailed by 2-7 to 0-7 and never looked like getting back into contention in a disappointing semi-final clash at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday evening last.

Killoe had held a commanding seven points lead in the second quarter of the contest, thanks to a Mark Hughes goal in the 18th minute which was the direct result of a poor kick-out by Damien Sheridan that went straight to Michael Quinn and he subsequently set up Hughes.

When Ronan McGoldrick landed a fine point moments later Emmet Og were 1-7 to 0-3 ahead and it was McGoldrick who got the opening score of the game with just 20 seconds gone on the clock.

Sean McCormack fired over three points (one free), with his first strike in the 6th minute a terrific effort, while the other two scores came from Mark Hughes (a great catch and quality finish) and Paddy Thompson, operating as the target man at full-forward.

Hughes had a great chance to put the issue beyond all doubt in the 21st minute but his close range shot for a second goal was well saved by Damien Sheridan and that gave Dromard a boost with Francis McGee landing an excellent point a minute later.

Ross McNerney (free) and Gary Maguire got early scores for Dromard before McGee converted a brilliantly struck long range free in the 14th minute and they showed a lot of character to close the gap approaching the break.

A brace of scores from McNerney (both frees, the second of which was disputed) was followed by a McGee free in stoppage time after competent Killoe keeper Cillan Burns had produced a great save to prevent Gary Maguire finding the back of the net.

Thus Emmet Og had to be content with a slender enough 1-7 to 0-7 advantage at the interval but the goal they were awarded with a couple of minutes gone in the second half was a killer blow for Dromard who were fighting a losing battle thereafter.

Several yellow cards were issued by the referee on the changeover as the semi-final developed into a very scrappy affair and a couple of black cards were also shown in quick succession to Killoe players Sean McCormack and Mark Hughes late in the game.

But it mattered little and Emmet Og were very unlucky not to get a third goal when Michael Quinn blasted a cracking shot against the crossbar in stoppage time.

Their four points in the second half came from Sean McCormack (free and play) with defender Liam Hughes (who surged forward to register a fabulous effort) and Daniel Mimnagh (long range free) also on target while the best Dromard could manage was three more scores.

After firing over a spectacular strike from near the sideline in the 48th minute, Francis McGee landed his fifth point and Dromard’s final score in the 57th minute while Ross McNerney converted a free midway through the second half.

Dromard were badly hit by the absence of key forward Cian Mimnagh (out injured), with John Sheridan also on the casualty list, and were well beaten by a lot slicker Killoe side with the influential Sean McCormack (0-5) leading the charge in attack with good support from Mark Hughes.

Simon Kiernan had one of his better games at centrefield with Ronan McGoldrick also prominent in this vital sector. The Killoe defence were really solid, inspired by the impressive Padraig McCormack and Liam Hughes in the full-back-line while Michael Quinn and Shane Dowd also figured prominently as the Dromard attack were restricted to just four scores from play.

KILLOE EMMET OG: Cillian Burns; Liam Hughes (0-1), Padraig McCormack, Daniel Keogh; Shane Dowd, Cian Farrelly, Michael Quinn; Simon Kiernan (1-0), Ronan McGoldrick (0-2); Larry Moran, Daniel Mimnagh (0-1, free), Denis McGoldrick; Sean McCormack (0-5, two frees), Paddy Thompson (0-1), Mark Hughes (1-1).

Subs:- Paddy Kiernan for D McGoldrick (45 mins); Ronan Keogh for S McCormack (black card, 56 mins); Joe McCormack for M Hughes (black card, 57 mins).

DROMARD: Damien Sheridan; David Pettit, Niall Vance, Paul McGee; Kevin Donohoe, Ross McNerney (0-4, all frees), Peter Masterson; Diarmuid Masterson, Ronan McEntire; Jamsie Martin, Gary Maguire (0-1), Bernard Sheridan; Francis McGee (0-5, two frees), Peter Reynolds, Declan Mimnagh.

Subs:- Emmet Masterson for J Martin (42 mins); Padraig Martin for D Mimnagh (53 mins).

Referee: Fergal Kelly