Dromard produce strong second half display to win with considerable ease

Declan Mimnagh on the attack for Dromard in his attempt to evade the challenge of Ballymahon defender Pedro Byrne. Action from the Senior Football Championship Round 2 game at Higginstown, Granard on Sunday evening last.  Photo: Declan Gilmore
After a slow start Dromard eased past Ballymahon in this second round senior championship clash played in miserable wet conditions in Granard on Sunday evening last.

After a slow start Dromard eased past Ballymahon in this second round senior championship clash played in miserable wet conditions in Granard on Sunday evening last.

Frees from Colm Flynn had Ballymahon ahead by two twice in the opening minutes but once Dromard got into their stride it was clear that there was only going to be one winner. Both sides ended the game with 14 men; Dromard Ronan McEntire received a second yellow card in the 20th minute while Pedro Byrne from Ballymahon received a second yellow card in the 44th minute.

Diarmuid Masterson hit over the opening point in the fifth minute. A free from Colm Flynn got Ballymahon off the mark in the seventh minute. They then kicked three wides in a row before Flynn fired over his second free after Mark Connor was fouled.

Points were traded between Flynn (free) and Peter Reynolds before Dromard lost McEntire after he picked up a second yellow card.

A free from Declan Mimnagh levelled matters in the 23rd minute before Flynn hit over two more frees to put his side ahead by two in the 28th minute. Dromard though were level going in at the break (0-5 to 0-5) with points from Declan Mimnagh and Jamsie Martin.

Cian Mimnagh put Dromard ahead inside the opening minute of the second half and it was a lead that they didn’t let slip. Jamsie Martin got their first goal in the 37th minute before Cian Mimnagh was on target again to put five between the sides.

Ballymahon were then reduced to 14 when Pedro Byrne was shown a second yellow card. A lovely point from Ross McNerney put Dromard ahead by six in the 45th minute. Another Colm Flynn free was Ballymahon’s opening score of the second half.

In the 47th minute Dromard got a second goal and it killed off Ballymahon’s challenge. McNerney played a lovely ball into Cian Mimnagh who fisted the ball to the net.

Two points in quick succession extended Dromard’s lead. Ballymahon replied with points from Colm Flynn (free) and Mark Connor. Dromard got back on top again and three points in a row put 11 between the sides with five minutes remaining.

In the 56th minute substitute Mark Lennon scored a goal for Ballymahon for what was their last score of the game. Dromard responded with another goal two minutes later; a quick free from Diarmuid Masterson was played into Cian Mimnagh and he found the back of the net.

Dromard didn’t give up on the scoring and ended the game well. Declan Mimnagh hit over a well taken ’45 in the final minute and a free in stoppage time as Dromard had 13 points to spare in the end in their second win in the 2015 championship.

DROMARD: Gavin McNerney; Enda Kiernan, John Sheridan, Paul McGee; Emmet Masterson, Ross McNerney (0-1), Niall Vance; Diarmuid Masterson (0-1), Ronan McEntire; Kevin Donohoe, Declan Mimnagh (0-5, 3f, ‘45), Bernard Sheridan (0-1); Jamsie Martin (1-1), Cian Mimnagh (2-2), Peter Reynolds (0-1).

Subs:- Padraig Martin (0-2) for E Kiernan (26 mins); Michael Reilly for K Donohoe (47 mins); James Mimnagh (0-1) for P McGee (51 mins); Enda Kiernan for J Martin (59 mins).

BALLYMAHON: Kyle Fitzmaurice; Pedro Byrne, James Kenny, Gareth Murtagh; Eddie Noonan, Matthew Daly, Sean McMullen; Cian Cooney, John Nevin; Mark Connor (0-1), Colm Flynn (0-6, 6 frees), Thomas Mulvihill; Thomas Lennon (0-1), Mark McCormack, Joe Kelly.

Subs:- Mark Lennon (1-0) for J Kelly (36 mins); Edwin Nally for T Lennon (55 mins).

Referee: Stephen Tierney (Mostrim).