Cashel conquer Carrickedmond

After letting victory slip from their grasp in the drawn encounter the previous week, Cashel managed to conquer Carrickedmond at the second attempt in advancing to meet Granard St. Mary’s in the Intermediate Football Championship Final but it took them a considerable length of time to convert their superiority into vital scores.

It eventually came good for Cashel with crucial goals from Aidan Rowan and Derek Farrell in the 51st and 53rd minutes putting the issue beyond all doubt and things went from bad to worse for Carrickedmond who ended up with 13 players on the pitch after John Gerety (two yellow cards) and Marty Mulvey (straight red) were sent-off in the closing stages of a bad tempered second half.

Gerety was first to go in the 59th minute and moments later Mulvey lost his cool completely in kicking Gary Kenny twice in a very nasty incident that was a disgraceful scene, to say the least. Minus the services of John Lenehan (away on holidays) this was a very poor performance by Carrickedmond who were well beaten in the finish.

While Cashel (without defender Kevin Farrell) had much the better of the exchanges in the first half of the semi-final replay at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday evening last, they wasted no less than four goal chances including a Peter Foy penalty that was saved in fine fashion by the competent Carrickedmond keeper Gareth Higgins with 17 minutes gone on the clock.

Higgins also produced a couple of point-blank saves to prevent Kieran Mulvihill from finding the back of the Carrick net while in another glorious opportunity Shane Merrigan had his close range attempt blocked by Barry O’Farrell.

Thus Cashel had to be content with a slender 0-4 to 0-3 lead at the break with their first half points coming from Niall Donlon, a brace from Aidan Rowan (‘45’ and play) with Peter Foy also on target for the men in ‘red and black’ and Rowan went close to scoring a goal when blasting the ball over the bar in the 28th minute.

Marty Mulvey weaved his way through to fire over a fine point for Carrickedmond with two minutes gone in the game but they failed to register another score until the 15th minute when Mark McDonnell converted a free.

Carrick, who were guilty of kicking a few wides in the first half, closed the gap to the minimum of margins with a point from John Gerety just before the break and were back on level terms with only a minute gone on the changeover when Tommy Cummins shot over the bar.

Ten minutes into the second half John O’Shea fisted a point to leave Carrickedmond leading by 0-5 to 0-4 but immediately Derek Farrell kicked a very good score for Cashel and extra-time was looking a possibility at this stage.

But Carrick corner-forward Mark McDonnell then kicked a costly wide from a free and soon after Gary Kenny fired over a vital free for Cashel who were then denied a goal when Shane Merrigan shot against the crossbar.

However, they extended their advantage from another free converted by Derek Farrell in the 50th minute and moments later the killer blow was struck when Niall Donlon put Aidan Rowan through for a well-taken goal and it was no more than he deserved as the influential centre-half-forward played particularly well for the winners.

Whatever slim hopes Carrickedmond had of getting back into the game were well and truly dashed a couple of minutes later when a great move involving James Rowan, the generally prominent Peter Foy, Shane Merrigan, Kieran Mulvihill and Derek Farrell ended up with the vastly experienced Farrell planting a cracking shot into the back of the net.

Further Cashel points from Foy and Mulvihill brought the scoring to a close and their manager, Rooskey native Dermot Washington, has certainly made a big impact in guiding Cashel to the Intermediate title decider amid all the hype generated by their participation in RTE’s Celebrity Bainisteoir with their reality TV show ‘coach’ Rozanna Purcell a most interested spectator at the county championship semi-final replay in Pearse Park last weekend.

CASHEL: Ger Nealion; Ronan Farrell, Conan Casey, Ronan Muldoon; Peter Foy (0-2), Padraig Farrell, Luke Casey; Ger Dennigan, James Rowan; Gary Kenny (0-1, free), Aidan Rowan (1-2, one point from ‘45’), Niall Donlon (0-1); Kieran Mulvihill (0-1), Shane Merrigan, Derek Farrell (1-2, one point from free).

CARRICKEDMOND: Gareth Higgins; James Murray, Barry O’Farrell, Tommy Martin; Oisin Farrell, Kevin Moran, John Gerety (0-1); Barry Stewart, John O’Shea (0-1); Jonathan Keegan, Tommy Cummins (0-1), Padraig McGrath; Padraig O’Shea, Marty Mulvey (0-1), Mark McDonnell (0-1, free).

Sub:- Patrick Farrell for J Keegan (48 mins).

Referee: John Hughes (Killoe Young Emmets).