Mostrim end Slashers unbeaten run

Mostrim . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-4

Mostrim . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-4

Longford Slashers . . . . 0-9

Mostrim went into this 4th round league fixture on the back of three defeats in their campaign to date and few would have expected them to bring Longford Slashers impressive four year unbeaten run in Division 1 to an end in Devine Park on Wednesday evening of last week.

Last year’s league and championship double winners were short many regulars for this contest including Barry Gilleran, Niall Mulligan and Mark Diffley and suffered another setback when Sean Flynn had to be withdrawn due to injury before the end of the first quarter.

But take nothing away from Mostrim. They were full value for their victory after finding the going a little tough in the opening 20 minutes. And midfielder Brian Farrell was particularly impressive for the winners who will now be hoping that this great result will kick start their season.

Slashers were dominating possession for most of the opening quarter and despite missing a host of early chances they still held a 3 point advantage following scores from Martin Nevin, Colin Smith and Peter Foy. However, when Cillian Lynn converted a 20th minute penalty for the first goal Mostrim were back on level terms.

Slashers responded well to this setback however, and points from Smith and Foy saw them regain control. The first half ended with Mostrim’s Brian Farrell and Colin Smith exchanging scores to leave Slashers leading by 0-6 to 1-1 at the break.

But when Mostrim look back at this win they will certainly put a lot of the credit down to the start they made to the second half. Points from Lynn and Farrell left them level inside 3 minutes and when Luke Kenny cleverly flicked home a second Edgeworthstown goal in the 37th minute, Slashers were in trouble.

But the visitors battled back and a score apiece from Trevor Clendenning and Colin Smith saw them close the gap to a point by the 48th minute. However, Brian Farrell converted a 55th minute ‘45 kick to put the gutsy home side ahead by the dangerous margin of two points.

However, try as they might Slashers could not break down a stubborn opposing defence and an injury time point from Colin Smith was all that they could manage as Mostrim held on for a deserved win.

Scorers - Mostrim: C Lynn 1-1, L Kenny 1-0, B Farrell 0-3.

Scorers - Slashers: C Smith 0-5, P Foy 0-2, M Nevin and T Clendenning 0-1 each.

Referee: Michael Farrell