Lanesboro Community College capture title

(After Extra-Time)

(After Extra-Time)

Lanesboro Community College captured the O’Beirne Cup title in dramatic fashion after they edged out Ballymahon Vocational School after extra-time in the second tier County Post-Primary Schools Senior Football Final at the Cashel grounds on Tuesday of last week.

The eventual winners turned around a five point deficit in the second half to force the game into the additional period before the final was eventually decided.

Chief marksman and Roscommon county minor Diarmuid Murtagh played a leading role in the Lanesboro revival. Murtagh dragged his team back into this entertaining contest after they appear down and out and he slotted over five impressive points without reply in the final ten minutes of normal time to draw the sides level at the end of sixty minutes.

Entering extra-time, Lanesboro CC continued their purple patch and an excellent long range point from Murtagh put them ahead. Ballymahon also displayed a lot of character and their main playmaker Martin McGoey replied with a well-taken free facing into a stiff wind. But the decisive matchwinning score then materialised when Lanesboro attacker Shane Phillips broke loose of his marker and planted his shot into the back of the net.

Ballymahon VS got the final off to a wonderful start when Liam O’Rourke netted an early goal with just twenty seconds gone on the clock but Lanesboro gradually settled down and a Jonathan Hussey goal in the 18th minute put them right back into contention. 
On the stroke of half-time, Ballymahon got a big boost with Martin McGoey displaying his eye for goal with a spectacular shot that gave the Lanesboro keeper Joe Farrell no chance.

On the changeover, Ballymahon continued to enjoy success in front of the posts to consolidate a grip on the game but Lanesboro were saved by Diarmuid Murtagh’s excellent second half performance, earning him the man-of-the-match accolade, and his excellent equalising point in stoppage time forced the game into extra-time. 
With the momentum now firmly with Lanesboro, they got a goal at the perfect time when Shane Phillips shot to the back of the net with the last kick of the first period of extra-time. 
Ballymahon fought back to close the gap to the minimum of margins thanks to two converted frees by Martin McGoey but Lanesboro replied with a point apiece from Patrick Feeney and Diarmuid Murtagh to clinch the victory. 

LANESBORO CS: Joe Farrell; Darragh Regan, Jack Rooney, Gary Gallagher; Jonathan Sweeney, Sean Costello, Michael Cox; Eoghan Sorohan, Patrick Feeney (0-3, frees); Shane Cosgrove, Eugene Maguire, Graham O’Brien; Diarmuid Murtagh (0-10, 2 frees, 1 ‘45’), Shane Phillips (1-0), Jonathan Hussey (1-0). 
Subs: Kevin Sorohan for G O’Brien (half time); Darragh Kelly for J Sweeney (50 mins).

BALLYMAHON VS: Jack Fox; Pat Egan, Niall O’Farrell, James Skelly; Casey Weafer, Diarmuid McGuire, Corey Carberry; Andrew Dalton, Andrew Farrell (0-1); Conor Kelly, Eoin Flood, Liam O’Rourke (1-0); Sean Kelly (0-1), Martin McGoey (1-7, five frees), Sean McMullen (0-1).
Subs: Niall Keenan for J Skelly (37 mins); Conor Farrell for E Flood (51 mins); Eoin Flood for P Egan (64 mins).

Referee: Frank Toher (Killoe).