Mostrim battle back to earn
draw against Mullinalaghta

Fintan Coyle on the ball for Mostrim in this tussle with Mullinalaghta St Columba's opponent Conor McElligott in the Division 1 league game at Devine Park. Photo: Declan Gilmore
A point from Luke Kelly five minutes from time earned Mostrim a draw against Mullinalaghta St Columba’s in the All County Football League Division 1 game at Devine Park on Sunday evening last.

A point from Luke Kelly five minutes from time earned Mostrim a draw against Mullinalaghta St Columba’s in the All County Football League Division 1 game at Devine Park on Sunday evening last.

Twice the Mullinalaghta side (managed by Mostrim clubman Gerry Lynn) were ahead by four points but credit to the Edgeworthstown outfit who battled hard to get back into contention and in the end got a share of the spoils. Fintan Coyle was influential in helping Mostrim get something out of the game while for St Columba’s Bernard Donohoe was immense at centre-half-back.

Mullinalaghta started the game brightly and two frees from the boot of David McGivney gave his side an early lead. But by the 12th minute Mostrim were level with points from Brian Farrell and Cillian Lynn.

Mostrim then hit a number of wides before St Columba’s got in control to get scores on the board with McGivney punishing Mostrim for giving away frees - scoring his third free in the 21st minute,

David Donohoe added their first point from play and in stoppage time McGivney was on target again with two more frees from virtually the same spot; about 30 metres out.

The game opened up in the early stages of the second half. First Aidan McElligott was unlucky to see his fisted effort come off the butt of the post, Mostrim cleared the danger and broke down the field with Shane Kiernan shooting to the net with a fine finish to get his side to within one point of St Columba’s.

David McGivney was on target again from another free in the 33rd minute but one minute later Mostrim took the lead for the first time; fantastic fielding from Fintan Coyle saw him beat three Mullinalaghta players to the ball. He then made a run and passed to Shane Kieran who scored his second goal.

In the 39th minute the sides were level when McGivney pointed an excellent free. One minute after that and St Columba’s opened up a three point lead when Aidan McElligott found the back of the net with a straight forward finish.

The deadly boot of David McGivney saw him fire over his eighth free in the 42nd minute to give his side a four point lead in the 42nd minute but despite having lots of possession that was to be St Columba’s final score of the game.

Mullinalaghta gave away the ball cheaply in the 45th minute and Cillian Lynn ended up being fouled and he stepped up to hit over the free. A nice move involving Joe Dempsey and Shane Kiernan saw the latter being fouled and he pointed the resulting free.

Brian Farrell and Kiernan were instrumental in Mostrim’s next score which Dempsey pointed to leave just one in it in the 54th minute. One minute later and the sides were level when Luke Kelly fired the ball over the bar.

St Columba’s had chances near the end to claim the win but just could not get another point as Mostrim - with Tony Kelly back in charge of the senior squad - held on for a deserved draw.

MOSTRIM: Ciaran Garvey; Cathal Smith, Sean Noone, Damien Moran; Alan O’Hara, Martin Coyle, Niall Quinn; Fintan Coyle, Brian Farrell (0-1); Cillian Lynn (0-2, 1 free), Luke Kelly (0-1), Darren Bloomer; Joe Dempsey (0-1), Shane Kiernan (2-1), Michael Hussey.

Sub:- Aaron Gallagher for D Bloomer (half-time).

MULLINALAGHTA ST COLUMBA’S: Patrick O’Rourke; Luke Meehan, Patrick Fox, Simon Cadam; Aaron Earley, Bernard Donohoe, Francis Mullign; Shane Mulligan, John Keegan; David Donohoe (0-1), Donie McElligott, Conor McElligott; Aidan McElligott (1-0), David McGivney (0-8, 8 frees), Gary Rogers.

Subs:- Eric Sullivan for D McElligott (21 mins); D McElligott for E Sullivan (half-time), Ruairi McElligott for B Donohoe (49 mins).

Referee: Michael O’Brien (Longford Slashers).