Cashel in control against Rathcline

CASHEL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-16

CASHEL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-16

RATHCLINE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-5

Report: Joe O’Brien

In glorious weather on Good Friday evening, a large crowd gathered at the Clonbonny grounds for the top of the table Division 2 league clash between neighbouring rivals Cashel and Rathcline.

Cashel ran out convincing winners, having controlled the game for the greater part against a very disappointing Rathcline side who finished the game with 13 men.

Rathcline were first on the scoreboard with a well worked point finished by Liam Connerton. Cashel replied with three unanswered points from Gary Kenny (2 frees) and an excellent score from Keith Carberry before Patrick Mullooly replied with a Rathcline point from a free.

Cashel tagged on two more points through Keith Carberry and Niall Casserly before Rathcline had a point from Mel Shanley, followed quickly by a goal from Liam Connerton to take the lead.

But Cashel responded in style, knocking over four points between the 15th minute and the half-time whistle, three coming from Gary Kenny and one from Ger Dennigan to leave the scoreline at the break, Cashel 0-9 Rathcline 1-3.

The second half began with a Rathcline point which was cancelled out by an Aidan Rowan point. But Rathcline got back into the game in the 37th minute with a great goal from Kevin Chapman following an excellent pass from Derek Casserly to leave the home side just two points behind.

At this stage it looked as if Rathcline were gaining some momentum and we were going to see a battle royal from there to the end. However, it was Cashel that reacted to the threat and between there and the end, they completely dominated affairs.

In the process of claiming the victory they scored 4 more points: one from Keith Carberry, who posed problems for the Rathcline full-back-line throughout, Niall Casserly and the outstanding (especially when he moved to midfield) Aidan Rowan.

Rathcline replied with the last score of the game in the 61st minute with a pointed free from James Hanley.

Cashel were generally in control with a very solid back-line performance which was only threatened by the hard working and hard running of Liam Connerton. The midfield battle was intriguing throughout and when Aidan Rowan switched there in the second half he gave Cashel a decisive advantage.

The sharp Cashel attack were a constant threat to the Rathcline defence throughout and they had excellent performances from the aforementioned Keith Carberry, Niall Casserly and Gary Kenny.

Only goalkeeper David Mulvihill, who made some excellent saves; Michael Morrissey, whose first half tussles with Aidan Rowan were a feature of the game, and Blaine Fallon put up any resistance for Rathcline.

Two Cashel players received black cards during the course of the game while Rathcline finished up with two players receiving red cards on double black/yellow and also one black card.

RATHCLINE: David Mulvihill; Stephen Farrell, Michael Morrissey, Eamon Farrell; Kevin Hanley, Blaine Fallon, Michael Hanley; Kevin Chapman, Derek Casserly; David Rooney, Liam Connerton, Mel Shanley; Patrick Mullooly, Shane Casserly, James Hanley.

Sub:- Eoin Sorohan for K Hanley.

CASHEL: Blaine Carberry; Ronan Farrell, Andrew Farrell, Ronan Muldoon; Mel Farrell, Padraig Farrell, Conan Casey; James Rowan, Luke Casey; Niall Casserly, Gary Kenny, Ger Dennigan; Keith Carberry, Aidan Rowan, Gavin Kelly.

Subs:- Shane Bannon for Mel Farrell (black card); Rory Carberry for J Rowan; Mark Murtagh for R Carberry (black card).

Referee: Derek Fahy (Ballymore).