Valentine’s Day does not have to be about spending money on your loved one but it is a day to celebrate how much you love them and how much they mean to you.
What you really want is for the day to as meaningful and personal as possible. Here are some tips on how to keep Valentine’s Day cheap and cheerful.
1. Give 14 small gifts that mean something special to you and your loved one.
You can go to the local bargain store and buy 14 individual gifts, wrap each individual gift and put them in a large box.
2. It might be cheesy but make your partner a mixed CD. Pick songs that have a special meaning between the two of you.
Songs that both of you listened to a lot, that either of you can play on an instrument, songs that you associate with certain moments spent with your other half such as a song you danced to once.
On the track list include a reason why you chose that particular song.
It costs practically nothing, just the price of a blank CD, and can be very thoughtful, romantic, and personal.
3. Give your other half a jar full of messages. It can be enough for a month to a year, with little quotes or reasons why you love them.
Then tell them to pick one each day, that way your gift lasts a while.
4. Are you a writer? Try writing your loved one a poem for Valentine’s Day. You can even frame it if it’s good! Or if you have unlimited text messaging on your phone, how about sending some sweet text messages all day long.
5. Celebrate with a day full of low-cost activities. Try to think of something your significant other loves to do but rarely has time to do.
6. Fill the entire day full of your loved one’s favourite things. The breakfast of their dreams, their favourite dinner, TV that they want to watch and anything else you can think of. Surprise them all day long.
7. What did you do on your very first date? Repeat it.
8. Give each other long-lingering back rubs or head-to-toe body massages. Invest in
luxurious lotion or oils.
9. Most memories are formed from experiences, not objects. So make an experience this Valentine’s Day. Walk around a park, picnic on a beach, go camping or cycle somewhere new. Give the gift of a perfect day.
10. Instead of shelling out the big bucks for sweets, make your own chocolate-covered strawberries at home. All you need are strawberries and chocolate!
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.