EXPLAINER: When can you travel beyond the 5km travel limit under Level 5?
Ireland enters a Level 5 lockdown at midnight on Wednesday night with a 5km travel restriction coming into effect for residents.
People will not be allowed to travel beyond 5km of their home unless it is for one of the reasons below:
- to shop for essential items such as food
- travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
- to take school-aged children to permitted training
- to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
- for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, as part of an extended household (support bubble) but excluding social family visits
- to attend a wedding or funeral
- for farming purposes i.e. food production and/or care of animals
- to visit a grave
There are also exemptions for weddings and funerals, irrespective of venue, so people can go beyond 5km and into different counties to attend a wedding or funeral.
Weddings and funerals are still limited to 25 guests and mourners respectively.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.