Cloone

CLOONE ACTIVE AGE: On the 22nd of June, a busload of our members went to Glenveagh National Park overlooking Lough Veagh in northwest Donegal, to view the now famous Castle and gardens. The park in total consists of 16,000 hectares of mountain, bogs, lakes and woods and is divided in two by the valley of Glenveagh. The estate was created by John George Adair in the years 1857-9 by the purchase of several small holdings and the eviction of some 244 tenants in 1861, some of whom ended up in the Workhouse. The castle was built in 1870-73 from rough hewn granite with walls 1.5 metres thick and a guided tour is an essential part of the visit. The 11 hectares of gardens put in place by Ms. Adair boast a multitude of exotic plants and flowers which contrast starkly with the surrounding mountains and are laid out informally. Weather conditions did not encourage us to visit and appreciate the Pleasure grounds, the Italian terrace, the Swiss walk or the Castle gardens. From Glenveagh we went on to visit The Workhouse Heritage Centre in Dunfanaghy which was opened in 1995 and hosts a Famine exhibition, New Lake Exhibition, Craft Shop and Hannah’s Tea Room. We heard the account of “Wee Hannah”’s harsh life which was typical of the hardships and heartbreaks that were endured at that time. We then went to Mt. Errigal Hotel in Letterkennyfor an enjoyable overnight stay. On Thursday the 23rd we started with a short visit to the New Mills Corn and Flax Mills, 5 km west of Letterkenny where a guide explained how the whole process of milling was carried out powered by a 25 ft water wheel with water from the river Swilly and could be managed by one man. The mill was purchased by the Commissioners for public works in 1986. Our next port of call was an outdoor museum in the Dough Famine Village near Ballyliffin, which has been in operation since 1997 and tells the story of life in this remote area of north Donegal from the Great Famine of the 1860’s up to the present time. The centre is designed for all kinds of weather and is wheelchair-friendly. A guided tour was provided and took about 45 minutes and was voted most interesting by our members. On our way home we went to Marlboro House in Bundoran for our evening meal which was enjoyed by all. Our thanks to the organisers for the arrangements. Let them know where you would like to go next.

CLOONE ACTIVE AGE: On the 22nd of June, a busload of our members went to Glenveagh National Park overlooking Lough Veagh in northwest Donegal, to view the now famous Castle and gardens. The park in total consists of 16,000 hectares of mountain, bogs, lakes and woods and is divided in two by the valley of Glenveagh. The estate was created by John George Adair in the years 1857-9 by the purchase of several small holdings and the eviction of some 244 tenants in 1861, some of whom ended up in the Workhouse. The castle was built in 1870-73 from rough hewn granite with walls 1.5 metres thick and a guided tour is an essential part of the visit. The 11 hectares of gardens put in place by Ms. Adair boast a multitude of exotic plants and flowers which contrast starkly with the surrounding mountains and are laid out informally. Weather conditions did not encourage us to visit and appreciate the Pleasure grounds, the Italian terrace, the Swiss walk or the Castle gardens. From Glenveagh we went on to visit The Workhouse Heritage Centre in Dunfanaghy which was opened in 1995 and hosts a Famine exhibition, New Lake Exhibition, Craft Shop and Hannah’s Tea Room. We heard the account of “Wee Hannah”’s harsh life which was typical of the hardships and heartbreaks that were endured at that time. We then went to Mt. Errigal Hotel in Letterkennyfor an enjoyable overnight stay. On Thursday the 23rd we started with a short visit to the New Mills Corn and Flax Mills, 5 km west of Letterkenny where a guide explained how the whole process of milling was carried out powered by a 25 ft water wheel with water from the river Swilly and could be managed by one man. The mill was purchased by the Commissioners for public works in 1986. Our next port of call was an outdoor museum in the Dough Famine Village near Ballyliffin, which has been in operation since 1997 and tells the story of life in this remote area of north Donegal from the Great Famine of the 1860’s up to the present time. The centre is designed for all kinds of weather and is wheelchair-friendly. A guided tour was provided and took about 45 minutes and was voted most interesting by our members. On our way home we went to Marlboro House in Bundoran for our evening meal which was enjoyed by all. Our thanks to the organisers for the arrangements. Let them know where you would like to go next.

AUGHAVAS NS PARENTS ASSOCIATION: would like to say thank you for your kind donations to our used clothes collection in conjunction with Cash for Clobber. We collected 210 bags and received €1050 for the school. Stay collecting as we will be having another Collection in the near future. Thanks to everyone who recently supported the annual Rehab church gate collection. A total of €334.04 was raised.

NEW ROOF: The tenders for the project are to be returned to the Architect by the 28th July 2011. We expect to be in position to award the tender shortly sfter that and hopefully commence the work in early August. A condition in the contract requires that we vacate the church for the duration of the work, this is due to Health and Safety issues and also insurance. We expect the work to be completed in three months. We will have all masses at the weekends in Aughavas for the duation of the work. This means that there will be Saturday night at 8 pm, Sunday morning at 10 am and at 11:30 am. When the work is completed the masses will return to thier usual rota. Masses booked for Saturday night and 10 am on Sunday in Clooone Diary will be celebrated in Aughavas. The daily masses for Cloone will be celebrated in the Parochial House.

CANCER WALK: The Cloone ICA wish to thank most sincerely all who took part in the Cancer Walk on the 3-7-11. It was a great success, everyone was so generous. Small children, mothers with prams all completed the journey to Keelra lake and back. The amount raised is not yet final. We will inform you of this at a later date. Many thanks to the two drivers: Claire Potts leading the walkers and Patsy Joe picking up the casualties behind. Well done to all concerned.

CLOONE GUN CLUB: There will be a meeting of Cloone Gun Club on Saturday 16th July 2011 at Cloone Community Centre at 8:30 pm. Insurance and membership will be collected for the 2011 – 2012 season. The current membership expires on 31st July 2011.

SHOW NEWS: The committee of Cloone Show would like to thank everyone who supported their fund-raising event in Fox’s and Looman. Special thanks to Kathleen and Jimmy Fox for hosting the event. J & S Soana for providing the music and the following sponsors for donating spot prizes: Kevin Masterson, Tom and Diane McNamara, Ben Kilgannon, South Carbrim Harries, Charlie Mitchell. Schedules are currently available and can be gotten from any committee member or the joint secretaries: Emer Claney or Deborah Leddy. 0879013515.