Toberpatrick graveyard: The small but dedicated committee of the historic burial grounds that is Tuberpatrick Graveyard in Cornakelly townland will be hosting a short meeting to coincide with the end of Legga mass on Sunday next in the graveyard with a view to setting in motion the renovation of the famous stations of the cross in the Graveyard before this year 2011 has past as this is the 100th anniversary of when these beautiful pieces were first placed in the famous north Longford landmark. It was a local priest Fr Laurence Cosgrove who hailed from the townland who had donated these Stations at his own expense and had shipped them home fro the USA. His brother had collected them in Granard with a donkey and cart and brought them to Cornakelly. Over the years they have fallen into total disrepair so it would be fitting that 100 years later they would be reconstructed. So with a view to this end anyone who has relatives buried in the famous cemetery (Burial place of General Blake Irish leader at the Battle of Ballinamuck 1798) or is interested in its history should come along to the graveyard on Sunday at circa 12.30pm to come up with a plan to have the work done and to finance same. Any inquiries to Peter Cosgrove, Cornakelly.
*As part of ongoing changes on www.longfordleader.ie, an edited version of all local notes will now appear on our website. The full text of the local notes appear in the printed edition of the Longford Leader.
Alternatively you can purchase the Longford Leader e-paper online for just €75 a year. Log on to www.longfordleader.ie/news/e-paper to find out more.