DCSIMG

New playground for Ballinamuck

At the opening and blessing of Ballinamuck Playground were, from left; Niall Donnelly, Aisling Donnelly, Siobhan Mulligan, Chairperson Carmel Gill, Terry McNally, Garry McNally, Frank Horne of Longford County Council, Michael McNally and Margaret Walsh of LCRL. Photo: Michelle Ghee. www.gphotos.ie

At the opening and blessing of Ballinamuck Playground were, from left; Niall Donnelly, Aisling Donnelly, Siobhan Mulligan, Chairperson Carmel Gill, Terry McNally, Garry McNally, Frank Horne of Longford County Council, Michael McNally and Margaret Walsh of LCRL. Photo: Michelle Ghee. www.gphotos.ie

In March of 2012, the Ballinamuck Enhancement committee launched their enhancement plan. One of the main things that was voted for in the plan, was a playground for the local children.

Once the idea for a playground was agreed on, the committee contacted Frank Horne in Longford County Council. He viewed the various sites that the committee had shortlisted, and in Autumn 2012, the site was chosen. It was then that contractors were contacted to do up plans and tenders for the playground.

In December 2013, work on the playground began in earnest and last Sunday, almost two years after the enhancement plan was launched, the playground was officially opened.

The enhancement committee was joined by members of the community for the occasion, and the playground was blessed by Fr Patsy McDermott. Most importantly, the children of the area turned out in their droves and gave the new facilites the thumbs-up.

The new playground includes equipment such as a Vippy seesaw, senior and junior swing seats,talk tubes, stepping blocks and much more.

The total cost of the playground reached €49,924.11. 75% of the cost was covered by funding from Longford Community Resources Ltd (LCRL), the EU and the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government. The remaining 25% was gathered through fundraising events.

Secretary of the enhancement committee, Siobhan Mulligan said that the children in the area were very excited to use the playground.

“It’s a great asset to the village and the children can’t wait to get going on it” she explained.

The committee member are grateful for all the help and support received throughout the process. In particular, they thanked LCRL, the EU and the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government who “brought the project to a successful conclusion”; the Diocese for their approval of the site; Frank Horne “for his assistance to us throughout”; Spraoi Linn Playground Contractorss for “their design detail and fine workmanship”; and North Longford and Arva Credit Union for their assistance while the committee were waiting for funding to be released.

The committee also extend their thanks to all who helped with and contributed to the fundraisers that have taken place, to individuals and business who supported the group and to Fr Patsy McDermott for opening and blessing the new playground.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page