DCSIMG

Longford youngster in syringe scare

Six-year-old David Heavey and the syringe which was found along the Battery Road in recent days.

Six-year-old David Heavey and the syringe which was found along the Battery Road in recent days.

This was the terrifying moment a father-of-four prevented his six-year-old son from coming into contact with a discarded syringe along one of Longford town’s busiest walkways, writes Liam Cosgrove.

Anthony Heavey said he had been left shocked by the discovery last Monday, June 30, along the main Battery Road and just yards from Longford Garda Station.

Like many parents, Mr Heavey had decided to take advantage of the recent bout of good weather by going for a leisurely evening stroll.

Little did he know then that the evening could have ended far more unpleasantly for his son David, but for the swift intervention of his 18-year-old daughter Shauna.

“We were just walking along the path and he (David) went over towards the wall to run his hand along the railings as children often do,” he said.

“Luckily my daughter saw the syringe and she sort of pulled him back from it. I know it (drug use) goes on but it really did bring it home.”

In a bid to illustrate his frustration, Mr Heavey went so far as to take pictures of the discarded syringe before reporting the find to Longford Gardai.

“I want to make people aware in case any young children pick this dirty syringe up because they can become infected with anything,” he said.

A Garda spokesperson confirmed on Monday they were investigating the incident.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page