DCSIMG

‘Electrical fault’ causes blaze at Longford town fashion outlet

The scene of the fire which broke out at a premises on Grafton Court, Longford shortly after 9pm on November 13 last. Photo: Enda Sheehan.

The scene of the fire which broke out at a premises on Grafton Court, Longford shortly after 9pm on November 13 last. Photo: Enda Sheehan.

The cause of a fire, which broke out at a business premises in the heart of Longford town on November 13 last, has been firmly established by gardaí.

The Leader has learned that the blaze at the La Bella fashion outlet, which left the business owner hospitalised, and resulted in the evacuation of a number of people from an upstairs apartment, was caused by an electrical fault, within the till and visa machine “which had been left plugged in”.

A forensic examination of the area took place and we are now satisfied that this blaze was caused by an electrical fault at the premisesm, a garda spokesperson confirmed.

Gardaí and two units of Longford Fire Service attended the scene after the blaze broke out along the Grafton Court area of the town at approximately 9:20pm on the night in question.

In the aftermath of the blaze, the owner of the business – who had entered the store in an effort to take the fire under control – suffered smoke inhalation, and was subsequently taken to the Midland Regional Hospital, Mullingar for treatment. Gardaí confirmed on Monday that the man has since been released from hospital.

It is understood that an alarm, which activated shortly after the fire broke out, alerted local gardaí to the incident and the local fire service was subsequently on the scene within a short period of time, thereafter. While the premises was damaged in the fire, gardaí say that the store will re-open for business shortly.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page