A public meeting to discuss the renovation works proposed for St Brigid’s Church in Ardagh will take place on Tuesday, May 27 at 8pm in the church.
The facility first opened on October 23, 1881, and retains most of its original features. Proposals for works expected to be carried out the church have gone to public consultation and include a number of controversial changes.
It is proposed that the altar rails be removed from their present location to be resized and refitted elsewhere within. There are also plans to expand and lower the altar, which will require the removal of the first four pews; rearranged seating plans and the relocation of the historic baptismal font.
“As part of a period of public consultation being held with regard to the proposed changes, indicative building plans are currently on display at the church and there will be a public meeting held on May 27 when a diocesan representatives will be present,” a committee member added.
“All are welcome and indeed we would encourage people to attend this important meeting regarding one of Co Longford’s most significant spiritual and architectural buildings. The late Cardinal Cathal Daly, former Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, described the church as ‘one of the more imposing examples of neo-Gothic revival church architecture in Ireland in the 19th century’.”
The construction of St Brigid’s Church in 1881 involved expert craftsmen, including the well respected architect, Cavan-born William Hague, who designed several churches throughout Ireland during that time. The builder was Patrick Callan of South Frederick Street, Dublin, and local tradesmen employed included John Fee of Crieve and Thomas Nally - a carpenter.