Mullingar Regional Hospital will have to find €3.6m in savings this year, after carrying over a deficit of €2m from last year.
Figures released in the HSE’s Dublin-Mid Leinster regional service report show the hospital has a budget of €56.4m for this year, slightly up on last year’s allocated budget of €56.159m.
However, the cost of running the hospital last year was nearly €60m, meaning a saving of €3.6m will have to be found in order to just break even.
During a visit to the Mullingar Hospital on Tuesday (Feb 28), Minister for Health, Dr James Reilly gave assurances on the future of the hospital.
Speaking to Longford Westmeath TD James Bannon, the minister said the savings sought will not affect front-line services.
“Despite persistent rumours there is no threat to the A&E at Mullingar Regional Hospital,” Deputy Bannon said. “Given the €2m deficit in 2011 at the Mullingar Regional Hospital, cutbacks of €3.6m will have to be found in 2012.
“However, the hospital is actively engaging with the challenges for the year ahead and has put in place a number of internal and external efficiencies to produce savings, while prioritising patient care,” the Fine Gael TD said.
To read this story in full, see this week’s Longford Leader.