More than 40 tonnes of rubbish had to be removed from two derelict houses in Longford town last week before demolition work could be carried out.
Demolition of the properties took place last Thursday after weeks of controversy over the state of two derelict houses in Palace Crescent.
A dangerous structure notice was served on the owners of the houses by Longford County Council and after a ten-day notice period, the council sent a contractor in to demolish the houses.
However before demolition could take place, in excess of 40 tonnes of rubbish had to be removed from the site. The properties have attracted large-scale illegal dumping in the past few years.
Local County Councillor and joint director of Mulleady Properties, Martin Mulleady, said much of the rubbish had been left strewn throughout both houses.
“Up to six lorry loads were taken out of there,”Mr Mulleady told the Leader.
For more on this story, see this week’s Longford Leader.