A meeting of the Gleann Riada Residents’ Association, which was held in Longford town on Wednesday night (August 1), heard that unacceptable levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulphate have been detected in a small number of houses there.
One resident, who was evacuated from her home last month and subsequently accommodated at a local hotel, said that she was ordered to leave the property by the Health Service Executive (HSE) after it emerged that there was a danger posed to her health because of “elevated levels” of the gasses at her dwelling.
It also emerged that only a percentage of the 80 homes in the estate have being monitored for gas levels - which are now believed to have been a major contributory factor to an explosion at the development last March – and a number residents at the meeting complained of feeling tired, sick and nauseous while in their homes, over the past few weeks.
At the end of the meeting, it was agreed that residents should meet with HSE representatives to discuss the health impact further and it was highlighted by all in attendance that a meeting with the executive of the planning department of Longford Co Council should be finalised as soon as possible.
The meeting was also attended by local area representatives Cllr Peggy Nolan (FG) and Cllr Padraig Loughrey (FF) and by town councillor John Browne (FG).
Full details on the meeting, including reaction from residents and an interview with the woman forced to leave her home this week, in next Wednesday’s Longford Leader newspaper.