The future of hurling in Longford has been thrown into disarray after a meeting of the county GAA’s Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) ruled this year’s senior championship “null and void”.
It means no Longford side will now compete in the Leinster Junior Club Hurling Championship, the first round of which took place on Saturday October 15th.
Senior officials confirmed the move at a meeting last week because of ongoing difficulties in scheduling the Longford Senior County Hurling Final between Clonguish and Wolfe Tones, Mostrim.
County Board Secretary, Peter Reilly confirmed the news earlier this week in what is expected to throw fresh doubts over the county’s ability to sustain hurling going forward.
“It is disappointing in that we couldn’t get a club to represent us (Longford) in Leinster,” he said, suggesting the fallout could have more serious far reaching consequences.
Quizzed about the possibility of Longford perhaps following near neighbours, Cavan’s lead in pulling out of senior competitions to concentrate on underage development, Peter Reilly said it was an avenue county hurling board representatives might have to consider.
The Longford GAA Secretary was at a loss as to pinpoint what may have led to the sudden demise of a game which in 2010 saw the county lift the Lory Meagher Cup by defeating Donegal in the Croke Park final.
County Board Chairman Pat Cahill was just as dejected when contacted by the Leader over the past seven days. Anxious not to inflame the situation any further, Cahill conceded many questions as to the future of hurling in Longford were likely to follow as a result of the controversy.
“It is very disappointing that we couldn’t get the hurling final played as every effort was made by the county board,” he said.
Full story in this week’s Longford Leader, out Wednesday.