Longford District Court: Man hit with two year driving ban

Put off the road and slapped with a €250 fine

Longford District Court: Man hit with two year driving ban

A Lithuanian man has been banned from driving for two years after he was convicted of dangerous driving by Judge Seamus Hughes.

Aleksander Kolesnikov, Baylough Bungalow (behind Supermac’s), Athlone, Co Westmeath, was charged following an incident at Athlone Road, Creevaghbeg, Ballymahon, Co Longford on February 8 2015.

Inspector Padraig Jones said gardai responded to a report of dangerous driving on the outskirts of the south Longford town shortly after 2:30am.

When they arrived, he said gardai observed a car allegedly being driven by Mr Kolesnikov.

“The driver was reversing the car at speed with the handbrake on, spinning the wheels and creating a cloud of smoke,” said the Inspector.

Mr Kolesnikov’s defence solicitor had indicated that her client was willing to plead guilty to a lesser charge of careless driving.

However, Judge Hughes was quick to dismiss that appeal.

“It was clearly dangerous driving,” he said.

“Straight away, I am not prepared to accept a reduction to Section 52 (careless driving)”.

His solicitor said her client had been resident in Ireland for 10 years and needed his licence to travel to and from work.

She added it was Mr Kolesnikov’s partner who was supposed to be driving the car on the night in question.

Mr Kolesnikov also addressed the court, saying: “If I lose the (driving licence), I lose the job.”

Judge Hughes, however, said he had little option but to disqualify Mr Kolesnikov.

He consequently banned him from driving for two years and fined him €250, giving him three months to pay.