The Health and Safety Authority (HSA) has confirmed that it carried out a site visit to the C&D pet food plant on Monday in the aftermath of an ammonia leak on Saturday.
A spokesperson for the HSA said they would not be releasing the details of the visit, in line with their own procedures.
On Saturday afternoon, two units of Longford fire services were called to the factory in Edgeworthstown after locals reported a smell of ammonia near the plant. Workers were evacuated as a precaution.
Ammonia is one of the most commonly used industrial chemicals, often used as an agricultural fertilizer. It also exists naturally in humans and the environment. Exposure to high concentrations in the air can cause immediate burning of the nose and throat.
It took the fire services over four hours to contain the leak, with workers at the plant able to resume production safely afterwards.
A spokesperson for C&D was not available at the time of going to press.