C&D Food has confirmed that it is set to lay off a number of temporary staff, less than a month after Larry Goodman’s proposed takeover of the company was given the green light.
However, it is believed the changes affect predominantly temporary positions within the Edgeworthstown based company following the completion of a recent contract.
Managing director Philip Reynolds insisted there was nothing unusual about the planned changes.
“Yes there will be some (workers) going but there is nothing major in this,” he said, referring to a similar announcement the company made last year when 50 temporary workers were let go after they were recruited to fill a certain role.
“We had a temporary contract and that contract is now finishing up. These (lay offs) are purely temporary by their nature because the contract is temporary,” he said.
It is thought that over 20 workers workers will formally cease working at the facility from July 29.
Meanwhile, the Competition Authority has since cleared the way for Mr Goodman’s Anglo Irish Beef Processors (AIBP) to assume “sole control” of C&D Foods.