The National Roads Authority (NRA) has announced the provision of €50,000 for roadworks in Ballymahon.
The news emerged during Longford Town Council’s monthly meeting when Cllr Paul Connell (Ind) declared that the NRA had “a change of heart” on the matter, and the money had now been secured for necessary roadworks in the area.
Speaking to the Leader, Ballymahon Cllr Barney Steele (FF) said that the NRA’s announcement was a very positive move for the town given the fact that it would be coming alive this summer with festival and Gathering events. “Ballymahon is divided in two,” the local area representative continued. “There is a regional road from the Bog Lane to Lanesboro, and then a secondary route serves Athlone, so when the NRA announced last Tuesday that it was allocating €50,000 it really was a great development for this area.”
Cllr Steele alluded to the fact that Longford Co Council had persevered in earnest during its pursuit of the funding to carry out, what local people say, are “urgent” roadworks in and around Ballymahon.
“From the Bog Lane to the Bridge is in a very bad state,” Cllr Steele explained further. “So at least now we will be able to get that sorted out with this money. Longford Co Council had been persistent and the fact of the matter here is Ballymahon people have been avoiding town and taking other routes because of the state of that particular road.”
The Leader understands that the matter will go to tender this week and contractors will be in place within a week or two.
“The plan is to have the roadworks completed by the end of May, so the matter will be at tender stage this week. Ballymahon is gearing up for the Gathering 2013 and for a number of festivals, so this funding is very welcome. It is one of the biggest tranches of funding to be released by the NRA so far this year,” he said.